Torn labrum repaired 6 months ago - now hip replacement on same hip.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 52 years old. I love to downhill ski, water ski, hike, climb 14ers (Colorado), play pickleball, etc. I had my labrum repaired 6 months ago. The MD told me I was not a candidate for a hip replacement as I was too young. I went back for my 6 month post op visit and it turns out, after 6 months of "recovery" and about $8000 out of pocket, I am bone on bone and require a hip replacement. What a difference 6 months in age can make...needless to say, this MD does not do hip replacements, only labral repair or reconstruction. My questions:

1. Will I ever be able to do any of the things I've listed again?
  2. Has anyone else experienced something similar within 6 months of them being told they were not a candidate?
  3. Do you think this was negligence? I paid him $2500 for stem cells and $2500 for capsular closure. I feel he shouldn't have done those things based on knowing how bad my cartilage looked when he got in there.

I am CRUSHED by the news of a hip replacement as I wanted to the fun grandma who did lots of things like skiing, etc with her grandkids (my kids are only 16 and 17).

Thank you in advance.

Amy

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am older than you and swim. I know people who play pickleball and people who have climbed mountains with new hips. It is a very succesfull operation nowadays.

• Posted

Hi Amy,

It might be worth a look at hip resurfacing. Google BHR hip resurfacing Birmingham UK.

The consultants are Mr ronan treacy and Derek mcminn. They have trained many other consultants around the world.

If you can have this op it allows you to go back to your old sports and if it was necessary to replace it at a later date then you can have a total hip replacement.

There have been problems with resurfacing with metal particles but this isnt such a problem with the BHR components and there has been a problem with petite ladies.

I'm not advising you to have a resurface but it won't harm to see a BHR consultant for a talk.

google resuracing hippies and look out for the BHR resurfacing consultants.

Good luck, I've got one total hip replacement and one BHR and the BHR feels more natural.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.