Torn meniscus

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two years this coming June I had a left TKR. Never had any problems with my right knee until December. My pain was on the right side of my right knee. I made CMB appointment with the dr rhetoric did my tkr. After MRI it shows a torn meniscus on the left side. I got a steroid shot but that only lasted about a week. I saw a different Dr in his group On April 6th. He will do surgery on April 23rd to remove the torn meniscus and clean up anything else He sees. He said it takes about 30 minutes.  The pain has gotten to the point I have to have it done. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is there no way you can have it repaired or sewn back together ? That would obv be better than more surgery and the knee will never be the same without the catilage!  There is so much more they can do these days with repairs.....not sure what part of the world you live in but I would do a bit more research before opting for surgery to remove it completely and of course it would depend on your age. You never said what you had a TKR for two years ago - how did that work out for you ? I am almost 5 months post op but still suffering with pain but not as much as in the beginning - takes a long time doesn't it! Wish you well and pain free soon...

• Posted

Thanks::I’m in the Midwest US. South of Chicago.  My Dr is just removing the torn part. Not all of the meniscus. If I were younger ( Born in the middle of last century) he may have sewn it beck together.  My tkr was a result of a work accident I had in 97.  My left knee had 3 scopes and an ACL reconstruction . There wasn’t much meniscus left after the acl surgery. Arthritis settled in. I saw a picture just before the saws came out and the repaired ACL was gone, it had torn again.  

The recovery from my TKR was painful but after two months I felt it was finally getting better. Now I can do quite a bit and I’m not worried I throw it will give out. 

• Posted

Apologies - meant to say would be better than a complete removal...not more surgery as of course it's all surgical....!

• Posted

On way to first PT session. Monday surgery went well. Not too much pain. Piece of cake compared to the TKR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.