Torn Meniscus and maintaining some cardio exercise

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have torn the meniscus in my knee and wait surgery to repair it. Looking for safe cardio exercise to do to maintain firness levels. 

I have gone down from an average of 21k steps per day to circa 2.5K steps! 

This drop is not only affecting my physical wellbeing but also my mental health. Not least becasue of my routine being dramatically changed! 

I think i have moved out of the phase of coming to terms with the injury and now motivated to get on with life albeit changed. 

I use to run, Nordic Walk, race walk. Generally being out and about...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My Dr also thinks I have a torn meniscus so he's sending me for an MRI, I seem to have been waiting ages, is that how yours was diagnosed, he said depending what they find they may go in with camera, you are obviously going to have yours surgically repaired though, do you have a pool nearby or gym, you can still do upper body workouts and use the good leg, I have mine strapped now through the day to try and take the strain off, I cannot weight bear on it so no walking only with walker or crutches.

I hope you don't have to wait to long and once its done don't be to quick to be over using it

• Posted

Hi my consultant has by passed the scan he is pretty sure I have a tear and it requires surgery to repair it. He will obviously know the full extent of the damage once he puts the scope in.  Yes it is no fun waiting for the operation...  
  • Posted

Nothing with impact is a starting point. Cycling, swimming are good. Like with all injuries, reality comes 1st then recovery. Once its been repaired and you carefully rehab it you can have your life back. Just remember, if it hadn't been for all that other stuff you probably wouldn't be on The shelf now. We all hate to admit that we have these things in our lives that cause problems but it happens. I was sitting around one day and my knee was normal at lunch. By three p.m. it was over 4" larger than the other and bleeding internally with the pooling moving up.my leg and finally reaching the abdomen and groin. That started in Sept of '02. The pain was absolutely unbelievable. My ortho group had no idea what was wrong. Since then, radistion, 11 surgeries, 5 complete rehabs and continual high label of pain has been my life story. I have a rare tumor that has eaten the leg up creating these woes. I was 65 when this started and now on the verge of hitting 80.

Sometimes nature has a way of over riding our human desires. That doesn't mean we have to give in to every infirmity but it does mean we have to be sensitive to changes.

Like the old saying, death is natures way of telling us to slow down.

Just give your drs a chance to repair and therapists a chance to heal properly. Trying to push harder than the body is capable of handling is a recipe for disaster. You will hear from other over achievers on the site who will tell you their stories. These aren't Dr's giving you text book theories, these are real people with real issues. Good luck. With time and patience you'll be back to normal.........however; it may be a new normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.