Torn rotator cuff causing significant pain when trying to sleep - how to relieve pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I tore my rotator cuff in a fall on 11/4/17.  The MRI confirmed the tear.  At night when I lay down, I get significant pain from my shoulder blade area and down my arm. Can’t stand it and can’t sleep. I need surgery to repair it but due to a long planned big vacation to the Philippines, I need to find a remedy to get pain relief until I get back and have surgery.  I might try Cortisone Injection.  Any recommendations?  Thanks for any help!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would definately try the shot at least a week before your trip, sometimes it takes that long for it to start working.
  • Posted

get the surgical repair done asap. is there any possibility of rescheduling the trip?  pile 5-6 standard bed pillows to build a wedge and cradle on your bed to sleep OR sleep in a recliner.  Ice as much as you can 3-4 times per day or more to help manage the discomfort and pain.  This issue will not get better until it is repaired and the recovery/rehab will be another 3 months plus.  It is what it is.  My heart goes out to you!  This injury, repair, surgery, recovery/rehab sucks, but it is doable and it is temporary. GOOD LUCK. When is the trip??
  • Posted

PS FYI gel ice packs work when you are trying to sleep....
  • Posted

Ice, Ice and more ice. Or try anti inflamitory cream. But it will improve over time.

• Posted

I hate to possibly give bad news, but even after my surgery in September I have continued to be in pain as you have  described.  I now have frozen should since the week of Thanksgiving and looking at doing new MRI.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.