TOS- Cervical Rib

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 12 year old daughter has congenital scoliosis with an extra cervical rib. She has had right handed numbness for a year now, getting worse. We went in for her follow up spinal fusion appt today. He thinks she has TOS and is sending her for an EMG test. Just wondering if this is the best course of action. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had a cervical rib that had to be removed due to TOS. The extra rib was trapping nerves causing numbness and pins and needles. The EMG will help to pinpoint where nerves maybe trapped and where the weaknesses are. It is part of finding the right treatment for your Daughter.

• Posted

Thank you! Are there other tests that they should be doing? Also, how miserable was the EMG? She's pretty worried about it.

• Posted

Hi, sorry for the delay in answering, my consultant did a blood flow scan for me as my cervical rib was trapping some blood vessels. It isn't the same for everyone but to be reassured you could enquire. The only way to describe the EMG is like very small electric shocks. The first few they did made me giggle.I don't know whether you have ever had one of those trick pens that when you push the top they give you a shock? It was like that but not so intense? They put them on the affected areas to see if the muscles react. They start off ever so lightly and then turn it up slowly. There is a Kids game out like that called Shock or something. It's not painful just a bit uncomfortable but she is only young and maybe her pain tolerance is different. That's the only way I can describe it. Hope all goes well for her.x

• Posted

I agree! I also giggled through most of it. Something about seeing your fingers move involuntarily is also a "kicker" to me. The shocks were not particularly painful. They increase the shocks to tolerance levels so I would not be fearful of this procedure. I will say that my arm/hand was ALREADY inflamed (I also have psoriatic arthritis) so I experienced some discomfort. She was considerate of this. It also reminds me of when the doctor checks your reflexes, that ALWAYS cracks me up as well. Think, the game, Operation it's less than that shock. I did not get the blood flow scan but that might be interesting to ask the doctor about to determine if that would be helpful.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your daughter. At least she is young and should take to treatment more easily. I also have scoliosis and cervical ribs. I'm 40 now... it took 39 years for them and me to figure out this TOS business. I started with an EMG test also. It is a good idea because it helps to pinpoint exactly where the nerve conductions are being disturbed. I felt it was definately worth while. Come to find out I also had other old damage in my hand from something else. It was extremely educational to me, I ask a ton of questions and my physiatrist ROCKED! I had surgery to remove the left cervical rib, which is most problematic. Although surgery wont make things perfect, it helped TREMENDOUSLY with pain and strength. Good luck! It's GREAT that you're taking the time to educate yourself on these boards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.