TOS injection treatment??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with TOS almost a year ago. my symptoms are only getting worse. I am seventeen years old and for the past two months my doctors changed the diagnosis to cubital tunnel syndrome but have now gone back to tos. my doctor is suggesting an injection to help with the pain. has anyone done this/ knows what goes down?? they told me it would be done in the OR (I'm not worried about it though since i have had surgery before) I'm just curious if it will actually work. The goal is for me to be done with physical therapy before I am off to college in the fall which seems like enough time but I've been going to PT for this for the past 11 months with zero improvement.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

How did they diagnose you with TOS? 

Are they categorically sure?

The reason they are doing it in the OR - is because the place they need to inject has a major artery and vein running through it. So they need to be incredibly careful not to hit those.

• Posted

I am not sure what the cause of the TOS is, I think they told me it was from an extra rib?? I was diagnosed based on the fact that my pulse goes away, I have collarbone pain that is connected to jaw pain and headaches (which was first thought to be my wisdom teeth growing in), I have shaking in my hand, and then it was confirmed with an EMG.
  • Posted

I had surgery and never had the injections... However, (as a medical assistant) I've seen these types of injections done, and known others who had it done. You said it's done in the OR? Are they putting you under? I've seen in a surgical setting but they use ultra sound or florascopy to find the location for injection. They would just use a local anesthetic also. These can work either REALLY well, or not at all... in my experience. The 1st 2-3 days you might think it's getting worse or not working but it will take a few days to "kick in." I was beyond this point at the time, which is why I got green lighted into surgery. Best thing I EVER did. I had it done 2 yrs ago, and still have some numbness on occasion but the PAIN is gone. WOO HOO! I'll TAKE IT! I have extra cervical ribs, that can be removed. Do you know WHAT is responsible for your TOS? If it's structural, like mine, surgery is really the only long term solution. Hope this is helpful. I KNOW your pain.

• Posted

I am pretty sure they will put me under, because they said I will need to miss the whole day of school. They never really explained what the cause is. They mentioned it either being from swelling in my pec minor, my shoulder subluxations (I had surgery to fix that though), or an extra rib

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.