total abdominal hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 8.5 weeks ago and tried to go back to work but the pain is getting worse now and not better. I'm going to see my surgeon this week and ask for another 4 weeks off. Anyone else have similar problems? I work long hours 12 at a time and am on my feet doing heavy lifting and pulling, yes I'm a nurse and should know better but wonder about anyone else.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirsten, I had TAH 2 yrs ago and must admit I was lucky had no pain whatso ever, but I listened to my body and I think you have done too much too soon. You need to take things easier no lifting or straining after all you are more important than your job. And if you do take things easier you'll find you will heal much quicker for it .good luck

• Posted

I would say you are going back way too early if you are lifting and on your feet. 8 weeks is ok if like me you have an office job. I would say you would need at least 12 weeks before even trying to lift - also maybe easing back into the job on reduced hours. I am only 4 weeks post op - and I know how one day you can feel fine - but the next day you can be wiped out! Hope all goes well for you.
  • Posted

Hi by week 8 I felt much more like myself and didn't feel the need to lie down for a rest during the day. I went back to my part time office job at week 8 but I definitely wouldn't have been ready for anything more than that.

At week 10 I overdid things and by Saturday ended up feeling awful and needed a lie down that afternoon so you're body still needs time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.