Total abdominal hysterectomy next week and feeling very nervous

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I am due to have a total abdominal hysterectomy in 6 days and I am starting to let my nerves get the better of me. I have been having problems with an enlarged uterus and multiple fibroids for some time and my periods have been extremely heavy. I was admitted to hospital around 5 weeks ago due to extreme pain and more bleeding. I've since been off work and taking medication to stop me from bleeding prior to the surgery. Anemia has been a major problem and I had an iron infusion a couple of weeks ago, to boost everything ready for surgery. When I think about how my health has been affected by all of this, I should just be focusing on how my life will improve after the surgery, but I am so nervous! Anyone with some words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes I would do the same thing!!! Focus on how much better you'll feel after this. No more heavy bleeding and having iron issues.I just had a D&C for heavy bleeding and low iron.. I know no comparison to an hysterectomy BUT I was sooo nervous about all of it. And I think I just got tired of the worries and feeling like crap so on the day that it happened, I was so ready for the procedure-- hoping for no more periods or if I do, they are 'normal'. My friend had a hysterectomy in April and she feels wonderful... And is so happy that she doesn't have to deal with feminine products anymore!!

• Posted

Hope your D&C does the trick for you and your periods are more

normal! Hopefully, like you, I'll just be ready for it on the day and feeling positive. It's great to hear about your friend's positive experience as well. I think I'm going to save a fortune! The number of feminine products I was buying was obscene haha!

• Posted

Just thought I'd say this.. My mom wanted me to have the hysterectomy that way it was done and no more dealing with it ever. She had hers at 40 and is now 80. She has told me that it was the best thing that she ever did for herself!! No more periods to deal with at work, vacations or anything.

• Posted

Thanks Kelly, I have heard this from many people and am very much looking forward to no more periods!!!

• Posted

Oh Sonia, I can empathize with you. I have an impending hysterectomy (date not scheduled) and I am nervous as heck. The posts on these boards have helped me feel more prepared but, a bit more scared too. I think that it's natural but, at least we aren't going in blind. Post on your recovery. It will be therapeutic and super helpful for those of us who are just a couple steps behind you! Good Luck!!!

• Posted

Thank you! I have also found the posts on this site to be particularly helpful. Some other blogs and forums have terrified the life out of me, so I've decided to avoid those! I'll definitely post my progress and let you know how it all goes. Hope you get your date through soon, as having something to work towards definitely helps x

• Posted

hi Sonia

I had my tvh over 22 mths ago and too be honest the recovery was very smooth.

I understand the pain with abdominal hyster is more intense but for sure if yiu rest completely for 6 weeks other than small walks each day to keep everything moving, never get constipated with taking movicol yo keep poo soft and easy to have a movement.

I found a heated wheat pad a godsend on my tummy to ease cramping afterwards.

I'd avoid painkillers like codeine as they bung yiu up bad, but paracetamol was the only thing I took from day one and was fine.

support pants are great as they keep your scar all supported and help with healing.

please dont worry it will be all smoothly sorted and no more periods or pain !

my mum had hers in 1977 at age 39. she was back at work sitting at desk at 6 weeks but did no lifting fir 3 months and was brilliant.

best thing she did as well but she had open cut and I had vaginal so hers was more stitches but still same healing.

I send you positive hugsx

• Posted

Thank you so much, the tips are a great help. I'll be getting a wheat pad and some movicol in ready. Just been to the hospital for my pre-op blood test, so not long to go now. Definitely starting to focus on the pros of how I'll feel once I've recovered and the freedom I'll have.

• Posted

hi good luck with surgery I had abdo hysterectomy 2 years ago I was fine after just take the recovery time needed I was off work 12 weeks after I to was an aemic but since surgery my iron levels are fine x

• Posted

Thanks Sharon, that's really good to hear. I have been told that I'll need to take the full 12 weeks off, but I do have the option to work from home, so will see how I feel. I will not miss being anemic! Glad yours has made such a positive difference for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.