Total Cholesterol Confusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - I cannot get a straight answer from my doctor about what my cholesterol breakdown really means. They just flag the abnormal numbers and send a letter with the standard advice: lower salt and increase exercise. But is it concerning that HDL is so high? If all the ratios are normal/ good, do i really need to change my diet? The true meaning of these numbers continues to elude me. I'm a 42 yr old female. I don't want the total number to continue getting higher as I get older. Thanks!

CHOLESTEROL 227Abnormal

TRIGLYCERIDE 56

HDL CHOLESTEROL 114Abnormal

LDL  102

CHOL/HDL RATIO 2.0

VLDL-1 11

NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL 113

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Not sure what the problem is, a high hdl I'd good compared to to a low one. High hdl means you have less chance of coronary artery disease. Your numbers look good to me. I wouldn't change my diet with those numbers. Way too many young doctors who think they know something when they know nothing.

• Posted

Hi Eileen814,

This is really a very complex subject. To start to come to terms with it if you can read scientific literature, a good starting point would be : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol ;  In particular to your enquiry is the section on hypercholesteroleamia. the following is relevant : "Elevated levels of the lipoprotein fractions, LDL, IDL and VLDL are regarded as atherogenic (prone to cause atherosclerosis).[68] Levels of these fractions, rather than the total cholesterol level, correlate with the extent and progress of atherosclerosis. Conversely, the total cholesterol can be within normal limits, yet be made up primarily of small LDL and small HDL particles, under which conditions atheroma growth rates would still be high. Recently, a post hoc analysis of the IDEAL and the EPIC prospective studies found an association between high levels of HDL cholesterol (adjusted for apolipoprotein A-I and apolipoprotein B) and increased risk of cardiovascular disease, casting doubt on the cardioprotective role of "good cholesterol".[69][70].

Good luck in your journey.

• Posted

Hi Eileen - do you have probs with cholesterol within the family? Is there a history of heart issues among your kin? If not, I would not be panicking. A good diet with exercise will protect you. I would tend to treat any fear-mongering from docs with serious caution. In my sad experience they have ulterior motives. The prescribing of statins is one of them - a gateway drug that can create other serious conditions. Look at your diet and don't let them throw numbers at you as if tomorrow the world will end. Research, diet and exercise. Oh to be 42 again...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.