Total Hip Replacement - Can I stay very active in sports long term?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone out there had THR and long-term stayed active in sports?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rick, what sports are you talking about?

?I have been going to the gym, but not done any other sports, however someone I know had his revisions last year bi lateral after 20 years and has continued to ski though all the years. his in his 60's now.

?I would think as long as you avoid contact sports, and any sort of twisting movement you will be ok. I dance a lot and have no problems.

• Posted

Hi Rick,

Besides the constant pain I had before the operation, I am an avid bowler.  My surgeon told me that it will take at least a year before I can return to bowling.  I am in my 10th week.  I will work at it.  However, I will not bowl until my body is 100% and my surgeon gives me the OK!

Regards,

Steven

• Posted

Gold medal Olympic winner Nick Skelton, for UK, won his medals in Show Jumping after having a hip replacement. Most doctors would advice against horse riding, doesn't seem to have done him any harm aged 58 ! 

• Posted

I know plenty of people that have returned to golf after THR including some at my club. I hope so because I go in on 16th Dec for my left hip and I've got a tee time booked for 1st March. Nothing like being optimistic!

• Posted

Absolutely!!! I had a right THR 18 months ago and am back to doing everything I did before the op - and am an avid sports & fitness enthusiast. Cycling is a big part of that and i'm regularly doing rides of between 20 and 100 miles - was back on the bike gently after about 10 weeks. Maybe there's some good fortune in my recovery, but i also believe if you're pretty fit ahead of the op and have the right mindset, most things sporting are possible. Of course there's a greater risk when you've had THR, but you have to balance that with the importance of activity to you. For me it was very important... Good luck with it - I think you'll be just fine! :-)

• Posted

Hi Rick,. The only restrictions I was given was not to do contact and impact sports. After my first hip replacement in 1996, I biked about 30 km every day, and did karate but the hip came loose in 2016 and had to have a resection. Check with your surgeon on how much and what activities are recommended. Have a nice weekend.
  • Posted

Rick

I was active after my THR. Mostly cycling and golf. I've not been happy running but I have skied too.

I imagine bowling is ok but you'll have to try it out gently to see.

Unlike Nick Skelton I found sitting on a horse uncomfortable

Mike

• Posted

All I am not very optimistic about your answers.  Although excellent information, I am 55 and still an avid baseball player.  I play 2nd base in probably 40-50 games per season and an usually a good hitter and aggressive baserunner.  Not softball but baseball.  

Every article I read defines baseball as a high impact sport and one that is not allowed after THR.

Makes me want to grind thru the pain and not have THR but it hurts too badly to play with my hip currently.

Anyone out there have any optimistic thoughts?  Please?

• Posted

I have given up Karate and running. Now happy to walk, Golf, bike, Health club etc. while baseball is not a violent sport you will put some pressure on the replacement which could cause it to wear out faster  check with your surgeon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.