Total Hip Replacement countdown (7weeks)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am happy, scared and crying alot. I am very thankful to my PCP for all his care. He got me scheduled

Now the days are dragging by so slowly and the 4 walls in my bedroom are making me more depressed. I do cry alot and feel like a basketcase

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Do what you can to manage the pain. Take your meds. Don't fall behind in pain control.

I had both hips done at the same time. I was almost in a wheel chair prior to surgery. I took t3's to ease the pain. Try to get out with friends. Don't be afraid to ask someone. I was amazed at people who want to help.

The surgery is so worth it. Recovery is fine as long as you do the exercises they give you. My new hips are great. Pain free.

• Posted

I so understand your feeling. I just had total knee replacement a week ago and have been a bit depressed over the whole rehab situation. I had a terrible reaction to the prescribed pain meds - - almost felt like I had a bad case of the flu. Went off of them completely and am now relying on Tylenol and aspirin......and LOTS of ice. But like you, the days really drag. So boring. It's difficult to maneuver so you're limited in that regard. Just getting a bottle of water takes a plan. I don't have anyone at home during the day and my friends don't live in my vicinity so it gets pretty lonely. Easy to feel sorry for myself. My PT has been going rather slow - - I'm just not where I should be because of how lousey I feel. But today I decided I had to make a change. So I got up determined to do my at home exercises, even though they hurt like h---.  Also icing on a regular basis. Spent some time outside doing nothing more than sitting among my flowering plants and trimming off bad blossoms where I could reach. Felt great just to get out into the sunshine and warmth. I completely emphathize with how you're feeling, Iris. All I can say is we're not alone with our medical situations and knowing there are others like us who are struggling with the same issues.....all we can do is keep going one day at a time knowing it will get better. There's only one way we can go in our journey and that's forward. Don't give up. I'm here to listen any time you feel you need to vent. I can't do what you need to do to get better and you can't do what I need to do. But we can cheer each other on. Good luck. Lynne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.