Total hip replacement last week when can I walk again

Posted , 4 users are following.

how long from my hip surgery until i can surf again

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Boogie boarding or stand-up surfing? i was able to boogie-board 3.5 months after left THR.

• Edited

how old are you? and congrats on boogie board at three mo.

i was riding my horses ant 6 months ...in my 40's....only walking no fast running gates.

i took is slow and asked the surgeon first as he knew i was a horse rider and used techniques and implants made for a young athlete. that is an important point....

• Edited

there is short term healing and long term healing. in 3-6 weeks walking unaided. 8-10 weeks driving.

16 weeks walking everywhere with caution and wearing new shoes with arches . Important to practice new walking gait and walk with heel to toe. old walking gait with unbalanced hip , old shoes worn ...the old gate is gone and new gait is important to note new shoes for new gait.

Bending is individual . it takes several months for the joint to heal, adjust and even the brain to understand the different pathway that is established from the new metal joint to the brain. there's a lot goin on all at the same time.

I have had 3 THR . Each one is a different recovery period. just dont over do and try to heal faster, can't speed up healing. the one thing consistent thru all three hip surgeries is walking is the best way to get back in shape. walking is all I did and before ya know it your doing all the things you love to to.

Long term healing is up to a year .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.