TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT. LEAKAGE FROM 6 DAYS AFTER SURGERY

Posted , 12 users are following.

HI  i had my Total hip replacement surgery on Tuesday 12th Jan. My surgeon told me that i may have some leakage, clean dressings and one can see the

leakage on the dressing, the wound looks clean does not look red or swollen.

I have been doing what the Physio told me to do regarding exercise. I am overweight so i was thinking that this may be contributing to it. Rung the hospital where i had the surgery they told me to ring them if it is still doing it over the next few days, well tomorrow will be a week since my surgery, i am so concerned about it. Any thoughts on the subject. 

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi guys an update on my leakage. As you guys kow from my post that i have been leaking from one Hole of one side of my Staple. I had a swab taken last week, i have to temp, not not and does not smell when my husband changes the dressings. I have just rung the Hospital and got to speak to a great Nurse that took them out, she wants to see me today at 2.30pm. The result from the swab came back as a (Heavy Infection) the hole has got bigger, i am going back to see my Surgeon on Wednesday. They should take another swab today i am on FLUCLOXACILLIN have been since last Wed evening. Will kee you all informed x
    • Posted

Sorry it is getting worse! Good luck at the doctor's office.
    • Posted

Ask them which bacteria is causing your infection. Flucloxacillin is normally prescribed for Staph aureus only
    • Posted

Hi guys went to the hospital the nurse that took my staples out i aksed to see, she cleaned me up and instead of putting another long dressing on with the glue all around it, which my skin is not liking at the moment and leaves little round sores.  she put and iodine patch which she said would absorb and hopefully dry out and form a skin over it, seeing my Surgeon on Wed at 5pm, i can't have a shower as this dressing is not waterproof lol x
    • Posted

good morning, 

checking in with you to see how you are doing?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

oh no, heavy infection that is not the news we wanted to hear. What is th plan now daywalker? Your surgeon tomorrow, and then hopefully they can get on top of the infection for you. I am so sorry, I would be so upset as well hearing this, but I am hopeful they have found it quickly and can treat you. Big hugs, difficult time for you, but you have as much as support and care on here as you need. 
    • Posted

PS can you start a new thread with your updates, as I nearly missed this, and went searching for you to find out how you are, and your update was buried under all the other posts. I hope to god you get some good news and fast.
    • Posted

Start a new thread what heading lol. I have been downstairs watching one of my fav Supernatural the brohers are great, i would love to have some of you guys on my Facebook as friends if you are interested let me know. Just look for LEAKAGE DAYWALKER  a new thread x hope all of you are well. I can't even have a poxy shower doing my nut in, i am such a clean person, a strip wash at the sink. My dressing is now waterproof i am seeing my Surgeon tomorrow at 5pm, If i have to go back into hospital it will be soul  destroying. I am trying to keep my chin up. lots of love Daywalker x
    • Posted

GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW!!!

Don't forget to let us know either way okay, because we will be thinking of you and hoping it all goes well.

Totally understand the shower thing, it would drive me crazy too. Hopefully you can one soon!!!! smile 

I will look out for your post and lets hope the surgeon has a good plan for you. Hundred fingers and toes crossed.

I am not on FB sadly (I am not allowed to be with my job) otherwise would definitely check out your page! 

• Posted

Maggie hi i saw my Surgeon today, i am gong back into Hospital tom, the hole where one side of my staple hole was is still leaking, He is getting me in as an Emergency tomorrow to see what is gong on and why this has not stopped. I asked him what infection i had he said Staphylococculus  my heart just sank, when i left his office, tears just came down my face in the hallway waiting to go and see the Nurse. So i have to go back in tom if they can get me a theatre as he has people in front of me, it will be an evening surgery. I know we have Bacteria on our bodies but it must of got into me via  that tiny staple hole, i feel for the surgeon too as he is so good at what he does, surgeons do not want to see patients back on the table agiin, i have had 5 weeks of gonig back for different things as my staples were removed on 2 different occasions, as i had 38, she the nurse thought it best to leave some in which she did check with my surgeon before she did. I have worked my ass off dong al the exercises building up my muscle tone and now i will be back to square one, this had better not happen again that is all i can say, will keep you guys updated, i will be in for 1 or 2 nights 
    • Posted

Hi there, you must feel very fed up. From what I hear from my medical colleagues this does happen to some people, and yes you are right  Staph species can all be skincommensalfs and get where they should not.. Your surgeon will have seen it before. Good luck, I will be thinking of you and let us know what happens
    • Posted

Oh gosh, I have just read this daywalker. So sorry to read this. I sent a PM to you today (I have a few things going on at home with sickness etc) so haven't been on the forum for a while. You poor thing, you are being incredibly brave about this. It is an impossibly difficult thing for you to contend with. We are all here for you, as ever, and will be praying for you to come out of this surgery completely better. Big hugs. They WILL take good care of you, extra good care of you, you are in the best hands. Sending you lots of love

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.