Total hysterectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

If you have everything removed do you go through the menopause quicker than someone who goes through it naturally?

surely if there's nothing inside you it will be quicker 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen, 

Yes you do. I had a hytorectomy and you go through it much faster, the symptoms are more intense, but it does not last as long. There is a term for it. Its called rapid menopause or something like that. 

• Posted

That's great to hear, I am 2 weeks post op and having hot flushes. How long would you say your symptoms lasted I am 44 and not taking any HRT

thank you for replying 

• Posted

Of course! I hope the surgery goes well. My symptoms last for probably a month. Everyone is different though. I tried to stay off HRT. but I am only and was 22 when I had the surgery. So my body freaked out entirely and now I still have issues trying to control my hormones. It the symptoms do not subside I would suggest speaking with your doctor about HRT. I couldn't function with it. But the hot flashes and mood swings did get better after a month. Maybe a month and a half.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.