Total hysterectomy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there it's been 3weeks since my op now and although I needed it ive been left feeling lost and empty I talked with my doctor n he said it's normal but I feel silly as I just burst into tears xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelly I had hysterectomy 10 weeks ago I was very emotional the first six weeks so I'd say it's normal your body went through tough time physically and emotionally are you on any hormone replacement im 54 years old so never got anything it should pass if not speak with your gp again xx

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

Surgery is a shock to the body and to the psyche.  You could be crying because you're mourning, or you could also be crying from relief that the operation is over.  Also, believe it or not, you could still have anesthesia from the operation in your system that is causing you to feel out of sorts. Cry all you need to.  xx 

However, this operation is a life saver for many women.  Give yourself the time you need to feel your feelings and to heal.  You will heal.  The thought that you're "not a woman" any longer is just garbage, so try not to entertain it. If you don't, it will soon leave smile.  

You may not improve steadily.  Your recovery may go in waves.  One day you might feel much better, only to feel awful the next couple of days.  That's normal.  I had open surgery (not a hysterectomy) 4 weeks ago and that's how my recovery is going.  

Be gentle with yourself, and try not to have too many expectations...you will heal.  xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your emotions, make sure you take vitamins and seek help if you need to. Speaking to a therapist maybe all you need to feel better. Stay strong 
  • Posted

Hello Kelly

Everyone is different and it's ok to own your feelings as you will work through these as you heal.  You do not say how old you are or the reason for hysterectomy as these may also have a bearing on how you are feeling.

Perhaps keep a journal of your journey and hopefully you will see progress.  Take it easy, rest and follow surgeon's instructions for your care.  It takes time to heal physically.  You may also be dealing with the impact of loss as that's how some women view it.  For others it's not like that.  Be kind to yourself.  ll the best Lyn

• Posted

Hi lm doing this even before the said opp ... its a big change on a women body its both mind and body and soul, if l was having my arm/leg sorted in opp that just it, its a opp but this is about women's emotions so its hard for us girls xxx

• Posted

Very true, I’m 3weeks post op and I see and feel so different. Stay strong 
  • Posted

Hi Kelly,

I have been feeling very good and relieved after my op but I also was very emotional for the first some weeks. I also almost broke into tears when talking to my doc at my f/u appointment, but not due to sadness!! wink

So, I think it is common and normal for women to feel emotional after this op, even if the emotions saying different things and have different colours.

Give yourself time and take very good care of yourself in the meantime!

xx

• Posted

In response to all you lovely ladies thank you I'm 38 yrs n I had it due to bleeding too much its been a couple of days since I posted n I had to go back to doctors yet again a week after op I ended up with sepsis n back in hospital I finished the aggressive antibiotics on Saturday but had to go back yesterday as ive got another infection I just feel drained but I will take on all your advice as having the abdominal hysterectomy is a big one I guess so is the recovery it just feels like I'm taking one step forward n a few back I've only just been able to start walking properly as they gave me an epidural to help with pain after as i also suffer from a sensitive nervous system but it affected my joints but I will keep my chin up n take it day by day thank you ladies xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.