total hysterectomy (laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am one week out from my surgery. Everyone keeps reminding me that this was a "major surgery".  However, I feel great, I am a 52 healthy active woman.  My question is-do I really need to "take it" easy for 4 weeks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Please do take it easy! You can't see all the inside healing that needs to be done. If you do too much too soon you may do damage that could set you back months. It ' s very early days for you and you have to take a back seat - let people do things for you - and don't lift anything bigger than a kettle! If you get a swollen tummy - you need to rest!

Take care!

• Posted

Agree with Glennie, lots of healing inside, you will know if something goes wrong but I wouldn't push things trying to find out, only going to complicate things and you don't want that.  In this case follow the Dr's instructions I think.

• Posted

Hello! I'm 52 had a latte ocarian cyst and both ovaries removed last Thursday kept reading all these stories that I would be in a lot of pain and to rest, well I can honestly say Iv had no pain apart from what feels like a slight period pain but that was only for a few hours after the op,the only discomfort Iv had is the bloatiness from gas they put in my tummy but have just passed a bowel  movement so hopefully that should go now! So yeah like you I feel great too I went shopping yesterday and plan on going out for lunch today, maybe we one of the lucky ones as everybody is different! I'm 53! 😊

• Posted

That's way less major than the surgery that Teresa had so can't compare apples with oranges. Quite different instructions for post-op. An ovary is the size of a walnut. Uterus is the size of a closed fist!! There is way more internal trauma to get the uterus out compared to an ovary.

• Posted

Hello Teresa

I had similar surgery 3 weeks ago and also felt great from the start.  However, I've mindful of the healing that is taking place.  Instructions from doctors need to be followed, particularly with regard to not lifting heavy things, hanging out washing, etc to minimse risk to organs.  One wants to avoid bladder prolapse and other nasties.  I hope that everything continues to go well.  Take care.  Lyn

• Posted

I had a LAVH 2 and a half years ago and simply, Yes you do, your surgeon has cut through quite a lot of tissue to get where he was going and it all needs to heal.
  • Posted

Hi, i felt brilliant a couple of weeks in to and by 5th week i was back on my cross trainer.  That all went downhill on week 6 and i had not done myself any favours as ended up not returning to work until week 8.  I would advise that the same as evryone else just don't go too mad.

• Posted

You MUST take it really easy for 6 full weeks. No hoovering, driving, or stretching up to washing line. NO heavy lifting. Only a kettle with enough water for a hot drink. You would be very very crazy to not follow the restrictions that are extremely important to allowing full internal healing.
  • Posted

Yes you most certainly do.  I had my total hysterectomy last September and followed all the instructions to the letter.  Your insides need to heal properly and this can take up to 6 months.  I felt great after the op and I am an active healthy woman too, but to get back to being active and healthy takes time, and you don't want to mess up all the work that has been put in, in putting you right.  I waited until 8 weeks to go back to my swimming, at first gently and then progressed back to what I was doing beforehand.  I am not going to lift anything heavy ever again, just in case!  I am now back to doing my keep fit again apart from certain exercises, as in aerobics.  I am now 74 by the way, so be good to yourself and have patience.  Best wishes to you for a full and good recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.