Total Hysterectomy with Ovarian Removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All

I'm scheduled for my hysterectomy in 2 weeks. April 3.

I have fibroids, a bleeding cervix and endometriosis.

My gynaecologist and i have talked and he will be removing my uterus and my cervix. As well, he will likely be removing my ovaries as well , due to the endometriosis. He is going to try and save one or both but there is no guarantee.

So this might mean instant menopause and i'm hearing horror stories.

Can someone tell me what to expect after surgery? And the days/weeks following?

Pain? Hormones? Bleeding? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you. 😀

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had my surgery on Feb 27,2017 and I was walking he next day. Take your pain pills and stool softener very important you don't want to get constapated. The worse for me was the gas pains not the incision heat pad helps a lot.... They removes my Fallopian tubes, uterus, and cervix. Today was given the clear to drive and light excercise. I will party for your speedy recovery.. ,You are not alone

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

I'm having a full hysterectomy on the 7th of April due to fibroids. I was going to question them removing my ovaries, I'm only 49, but as my mam died of ovarian cancer I'm just letting them go. I'm also worried about surgical menopause but I've found this website which might be some use. I've only just started reading the stuff on there myself and found it quite interesting so far and as well as the blog entries there's a discussion forum.

(I will post the link separately.)

I hope all goes well with your operation and if you don't mind it would be really nice if we could compare notes, so to speak. Help each other through it is what I mean. cheesygrin

Take care x

• Posted

Hi.

I've had problems for so long i dont even remember a time where this wasn't an issue. It will be a relief to have t this finally done. But i'm definitely nervous.

I would love to compare notes. Lol. Maybe we can help each other along?

• Posted

Just as I thought, the post with the link is waiting to be moderated. In case it isn't allowed try searching for "A Survivor's Guide to Surgical Menopause"

• Posted

I found on 14th February that I was having mine which seems really quick compared to others I've read about. At first I was just relieved there was going to be an end to the monthly misery; now though, the closer it gets the more nervous I feel.

I try not to think about it too much but want to be prepared for the operation and the after effects. Reading helps with this but it's also scary. sad

I'm sorry you're having to go through this but now you're here we may as well help each other if we can. smile

What kind of hysterectomy are you having Shelly? Abdominal, vaginal or laparoscopic? Due to the size of the fibroids I need an abdominal.

• Posted

Hi,

I would say try not to worry but we all do!

I didn't read many of the posts online prior to my op as I was already a worry wot about the op, let alone the possible complications...

The main thing for me was the gas pain straight afterwards. I thought my incision would be the painful part but it wasn't. It really hurt to get out of bed and walk the morn after the op but it did help with the gas, and drinking loads of water helped too.

Expect to feel weak and wiped out but it does get better. My bowels went into shock and seemed ok at first but then I had diarrhoea for a day so went on a very basic diet of white rice and roast chicken. For me, the main thing was to eat little and often and really rest up.

At times when I felt low, after a few nights when I didn't sleep as I couldn't get comfortable, I reminded myself why I had the op in the first place and that I couldn't continue with life as it was due to my fibroids causing so many issues.

I'm now 4 was post op and have been sleeping well (I forgot what it's like to sleep all night instead of being up 3/4 times for a wee), able to do light household chores and walking around much better.

My incision is sore now where it's healing and my bruising is much better. I was really bruised in my bikini area but I don't think that's common. I think it's because I'm so petite and there's not much fat / body to take the impact of surgery.

My energy levels are much better and I'm getting out for a daily walk but my body soon lets me know if I've done too much as I feel totally wiped out after a few hours pottering about if I've been on my feet too long!

So nice to know my fibroid is out. Just need to be patient with my recovery....

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

I just wanted to say I hope everything goes alright on Monday.

Take good care of yourself.

Esmay x

• Posted

How did your surgery go? I have my hysterectomy in 2 weeks - total with ovary removal due to a massive fibroid. Did you have to stay in hospital long? Hoping you have a speedy recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.