total hystetectomy and bso hrt

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I had a total hysterectomy and bso 3 weeks ago spoke to my doctor who said I don't have to take hrt if I don't want to which I don't , but because I'm 37 would prefer to take herbal supplement. ..Anybody know what is good to take other than hrt

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had same 12 weeks ago but have been told that it is advised to take hrt as long term side effects of losing estrogen young. I found that there is very little out there on losing ovaries young and hrt as a full replacement rather than a top up to ease symptoms at natural age so it's difficult to know what is for the best. I'd ask Dr for more info into pros and cons or research further. Obviously if the reason you had op stops you taking hrt that's different and herbs such as sage are meant to help along with soy products or tablets via healthfood shop should help you too. Good luck.
  • Posted

jo have you had your ovaries removed as well because a total hysterectomy is removing your womb as well as the cervix? If you've had your ovaries removed that's an oopherectomy. I was 37 when I had a total hysterectomy and right oopherectomy but unfortunately the following year I had to have a left oopherectomy as there were adhesions. Very quickly I developed menopausal symptoms and became very depressed. I considered natural remedies and did try them but ended up going onto HRT because I had a high pressure job in the NHS. This was in 1991 and I'm now gradually reducing the dose with a view to stopping completely. It's the best decision I made. Within 2 weeks I was back to my normal self. There is a lot to think about but for me it was the right choice.
    • Posted

Yes both ovaries were removed.

I have only been suffering from hot flushes but they're not too bad as I was on zoladex before op which was one of the side effects anyway.

I'm still feeling upbeat.

I am really concerned about weight gain as a side effect as I struggle keeping it under control as it is

• Posted

Was it best decision you made to go on hrt or coming off recently please. I'm yet to start hrt as have to go 6 months without before I go onto it. It's a real minefield out there to what's best so I know where jo28473 is coming from. I think I've made decision to move onto it but all advice is very welcome 😊
    • Posted

Going onto HRT was the right decision for me but I've been taking it since 1991 so I thought it was time to come off and my GP was getting more reluctant to prescribe it. It has it's benefits and at the time I would have struggled at work because the menopause came on so quickly.
    • Posted

Sorry to hijack this post with my own questions but I feel the same and hopefully will help others too. I'm struggling with work. I'm tired and mentally just feel like I'm not as alert as before and forget things. Stressful nhs job too trying to cover vacancies as well as my own job. Typical nhs. What hrt did you take please? I potentially could be on it a while too.
    • Posted

froggy I know exactly how you feel but once I started on HRT I was a changed woman after just 2 weeks. My friends, family and colleagues at work just couldn't believe the change in my. I was prescribed Hormonin which contains just the one hormone oestrogen and I took 2 tablets a day.
    • Posted

Thank you. I've not met my new Gp yet so want to go armed with all the info in case dismisses 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.