Total Knee Replacement.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had TKR 15 days ago.i cannot believe the constant pain. Nights are worse, I can't sleep .i ice 4 or 5 times a night. So glad I installed a small freezer in the bedroom. I do the exercises & can get 90 degrees. Can anyone tell me when the pain subsides. I'm on Paracetamol,codeine & ibuprofen. 

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Eileen I'm 4 weeks now and although it aches the pain is getting a little easier and don't need as many pain killers.  the not sleeping is still and issue as you can't get comfy on your back can you.  Just all feels so tight but physio assures me this will come.  not sure I've got past should Imhave bothered to do this to myself, but I think the corner has almost been turned. good luck x

• Posted

Hi , I to am 4 weeks today since my TKR but I am still taking 8 cocodamol a day , pain is still terrible but not as bad as 1st week . I can tell each week it's getting s little better but having problems with swelling . I am putting ice on 4 times a day . Good luck Eileen x

• Posted

Hi Chris. I know what you mean @ the pain nobody mentions it before. I'm 17 days ( & counting) post op &  also thinking ,why did I have this done.the nights are worse. I ice 3 or 4 times during night to get some relief. The good & positive thing is, TKR is  generally a very successful op everyone I have spoken to say it's the best thing they ever did. I think we just have to keep doing the exercises & rest & when the swelling goes down it will all get easier. Some of us take longer,it depends how much help you get & how much you can rest in between times. 

• Posted

Hi Sheila. I'm only a week behind you & am @ the same. I take paracetamol & codeine, & now I'm off the blood thinners doc said I can take ibuprofen,I can't take the liquid morphine or Tramadol as can't deal with the side effects. I ice regularly. Do you do much @ the house. .? I've started to as my husband had a stroke & it's not easy . I'm looking forward to a full recovery. Good luck for yours too 

• Posted

Hi Eileen , I am going to my second physio appointment on Thursday so I will see what they advise. I was told by them not to walk to much on it and to get the swelling down . I can see some people are walking with one crutch but I have been told to use two for 6 weeks. Interesting how we are all being advised differently. I am getting concerned with my cocodomal as in the morning when I have showered and dressed I feel really sickly and light headed and can only think it may be them that's causing it. Not doing much around the house as it's not easy with two crutches 😩 Just keep going and look ahead for a full recovery 👍

• Posted

Hi Sheila, yes I thought that @ the crutches. My physio ( very young lad) told me to go on one crutch 10 days after surgery. I wasn't happy going outdoors with only one so I use 2. I go @ the house on one. My knee is so swollen & sore , like you I think we should give it more time, we're all different. it only seems to aggravate it. I was given Tramadol & liquid morphine I don't take either as I feel out of it & sick. I now take ibuprofen, codeine& sometimes paracetamol.they bung me up so now I'm also on Laxido.

• Posted

Hi Shelia. I'm four half weeks after TKR but I came out of hospital with sticks as the physios in hospital said it was much easier with the sticks I can now walk without them indoors and just take one out with me every day when Ingomfor a walk.  just mention sticks they are less restricting than crutches.

Hope you okay x

• Posted

I was also told to use two for six weeks, although after about a month I really couldn't see the need for it.  However, when doing 'proper' walking, as opposed to just around the house, the crutches do help to make you walk in the correct manner.  Often after years of painful knees, straight legs etc. we have developed ways of avoiding pain, by not bending, or draggin the leg. . and that is something I found quite difficult to stop doing!

• Posted

At about fifteen days I cried with pain and having to do so many exercises!  A couple of weeks after that it started to get a little easier, less pain (stopped codeine as it was knocking me out). Make sure you keep icing and elevating as often as possible. Hang in there it will suddenly improve. ,I'm now at eleven weeks and I cannot believe how much better I feel and how much easier I am moving around.  Best wishes for your recovery. 

• Posted

Hi Eileen. I think everyone is different .

I am nearly 8 weeks post op found I turned a corner about 4 weeks but some night still uncomfortable but mosthe people seem to say that a normal.

The one thing that helped me was to do my last set of exercises 1 hour before bedtime. I place a pillow between my knees and sleep on the unoperated side.

It might be worth seeing your GP for Tramodol but they will only givery you a short course. It will get easier but it's still painful if you overdue it but the exercise is important. Stick with the programmes as they say on hete😊😊Best wishes Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan, thanks for your reply,it's very encouraging as I am only just into my third week. I suppose maybe the pain isn't quite so intense, it just keeps me awake. For 2 weeks I've been on codeine,& paracetamol, I haven't taken the liquid morphine or Tramadol the hospital sent me home with, as I couldn't cope with the side effects. Now I'm off the blood thinning the doc said I can have ibuprofen & at night. Yes I do the exercises only 2-3 times a day & I walk indoors, so far every hour. with one crutch now ,as physio told me to. Good luck too for your full recovery, I can't wait for mine .

• Posted

6 weeks for me , which would seem about the average with luckier healers faster and unlucky ones slower.

Good healing

• Posted

I think around four weeks it began to become tolerable, although it takes a lot longer than that to be rid of that dragging deep ache . . but the worst was over by four weeks. But everyone is different. You may be quicker!
    • Posted

aww thanks martinavelo,that's encouraging. I'm at least halfway, but even though the pain seems a tad more tolerable, unless it's me getting use of o it. I feel guilty only doing exercises 3 times a day but I do walk about with one crutch, good luck

• Posted

three times a day sounds pretty good to me!!!  I did start walking quite a lot around four weeks. . into the cold and rain, but it never seemed to stop, and I live in tenerife!  I think it helped. . . .Used both crutches to ensure that I used the right movement, and had to concentrate on that after years of dragging a sgtraight leg!  Brain kept getting in the way!
    • Posted

Hi am 4.5 weeks in pain is more tolerable but, some days it's just as bad and others much better, I exercise on an exercise bike just get on when passing in hall can't anyway get right round but still coming on. I do exercise 3/4/5 times a day as to how I feel.  Go to physio who told me not to push too hard as you don't do yourself any favours.  I'm totally fed up and want to get going but this is obviously not going to be the case, I'm 67 and I suppose this is a major trauma to your whole body with this operation.  I have spoken to people about the new knee and as yet no one has said they were sorry they had it done, just for some of us the time it is taking to feel a marked improvement.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.