Total knee replacement 12 weeks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi 12weeks post op TKnee Replacement bend so tight only 75 degrees bend not good said consultant may do a procedure which knee is snapped back down yo free all the tight scar tissue I'm terrified anyone had this done ?? Does it work help with bend and what about the pain as I'm just so terrified can't handle pain and very scared any advice please and what pain relief is best thanks x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Do your exercises every spare minute you can even if you are just watching TV, mine is just over the year and still get tight sometimes, but it's far better than it was, 12 weeks is early yet, the trouble is we have it done, but everyone is different, nobody really prepares you for what's going too happen, just be patient, it will work its self out, I got some bands from the sports shop and use them, I brought myself a set of peddles like half a bike and use that, I am not really the best advertisement but you will wake up one day and think no pain good luck.

• Posted

Hi Julie

Early days yet ask your physio about massage it helps break down scar tissue just do as much exercise as you can you may get a reply from Chico Marx he has some great tips and links to a site rest when you feel the need hope you get some relief soon .

• Posted

I know some people have had "manipulations" done to free up the scar tissue.  I have not and I don't even want to think about such a thing.  I know that I hit a "plateau" at -4 and just had to break through it.  Suggestion: Start a thread on "manipulations" and see what others have experienced.

Meanwhile...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-heel-slide-exercises-526213

...plus the machine in the picture helped me out a lot!!!

• Posted

Picture...  KneeFlex or something like that.

• Posted

Hi Julie

I haven't had any manipulations, but it sounds like they want to put you on a Passive Motion machine.

Have you been massaging your incision scar? It's most important you do this regularly to inhibit the build up of scar tissue & stop adhesions. Both of which make the bend harder to achieve. At 4.5 months po I still massage my scar every morning.

Try yourself to massage the scar using Bio Oil or something similar. I was told by the physiotherapist to use either E45 cream or Nivea Creme. You need to really get your fingers into the scar to try to break down the scar tissue beneath the actual incision scar. Don't be afraid to give it a good old pummelling being careful not to actually bruise the skin.

It may help, also try to exercise & bend after you've massaged the knee as it will be good & warm.

I hope you can get a better bend without having to go on the CPM.

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I had the same problem and stayed at 70 for 3 months. I had a manipulation, which you are put out for, and with a lot of hard work, and they will have you in PT the next day? Got to 110. I am 2 years out and all is well. It worked for me.
    • Posted

Thanks Suzanne very scared did it hurt how was pain after and did they keep u in hospital in so frightened x x my pain strength is poor x
  • Posted

Has anyone had manipulation s on here how does it it help what is recovery time do u stay in hospital how painful was it did it work 👍🏽Please I'm so scared as 70 degrees post op 12 weeks and knee so stiff x

• Posted

Please do not be afraid of manipulation. You are put out. So you don't feel. Heck, we've been thru so much pain this far, the fact that I had bend was amazing. Went home same day, and was in PT the next day for 10 days in a row. It helped me. I took my pain pills and pushed on. smile

• Posted

Hi Julie, as far as I know you should not have any pain through a manipulation procedure. Maybe some after, but this is suppose to help u with bending your knee. I chose not to have it done due to the same fears you r talking of. I'm 11 months po, walk fine and try to exercise every day or so. Got to keep those thigh muscles strong. I'm probably at a 110 bend, but that's good enough for me.  It's really a individual choice. But if I were you whatever your concerns are, write them down and ask all of them to your doctor.  I never thought my knee would bend as it should or the pain would ever be relieved, but lo and behold it subsided, I'm not sayin it's like how my other leg bends  but good enough for me.  Hang in there, stay strong and tough, I promise this too will pass.  Best, k p

• Posted

How long was it till you got the bend and straightness and pain free so frustrating and still on crutch and that is causing bad pain in my shoulder x so confused x
    • Posted

You are asking a question the answer to which you hope will apply to you.  It won't.  No answer will.  Everyone's different and you will not know the answer until you are done with your recovery, look back and see the milestones.  That's just the way it works...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

This takes time, determination, focus and patience.  Frustration (anger) is counterproductive.  Put that energy into PT and exercise...especially the post-PT exercise...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Long journey...

• Posted

I hate to say a timeframe, I agree with Chico , everyone is truly different with the healing process. I do believe that the exercises your taught should be done, but not to the extent of torture. Some heal faster then others, but I believe you'll get there if you keep up w your exercises. This is one tough surgery on the body, physically n emotionally, u got to work on both, keep up a positive attitude as best as you can, you'll get there 👍👍 🍀🍀 👼👼 🚴🚴

• Posted

Got to tell u too,  I got down the road the dreaded back pain n shoulder pain as well. Went to a chiropractor for that, that helped me out, like I said before, refer to your doc with as many questions you have.... Good luck kiddo! 👍👍 You will get there 

• Posted

Thanks really thought this would be a piece of cake boy was I wrong so wrong been very hard 😩

• Posted

"Piece of cake."  Really?  Really?????

Yeah, I know the feeling.  I thought exactly the same.  Four knee scopes, two on the shoulders, replaced hip, fused back...  Bounced back from every one...and more...in 1/2 to even 1/3 of the time the docs deem "average recovery time".  This one kicked my a$$...

I'm almost a year out and still not strong enough.  This takes time, determination and patience.  Gotta take all "expectations" and throw them out the window.  Get well soon...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.