Total knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

update from me . Just back from a holiday in Cyprus . Knee us holding up pretty well. I can't say painless as still stiff after sitting too long. I went for a paddle in the sea . Very calm and sandy , but after 2 minutes lost my balance and fell over , lol no pain, just soaked , I was wearing tea shirt and cropped trousers .my friends initial reaction was panic that I may have hurt myself, but then they couldn't stop laughing ...I ended up swimming fully clothed , I was wet any way ....I still find my confidence is low when walking and I still get so tired .. Had a brilliant time any way 

Pam 17 weeks 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Good to hear from you and that your holiday was a great success.

Two weeks today we leave for America to visit our daughter for Thanksgiving.  I'd better warn security about setting off alarms!  Did you have that problem?

Feeling so much better and progressing every day now.

Lynn 19.5 weeks

• Posted

Lynn.. The 1st time I flew after the tkr I took the card and letter of certification from the Dr and handed it to the TSA lady. She didn't even read it, just pointed to the waiting area for additional scanning and said over there. I have always wondered what they think you could be hiding inside the knee. Of all the airports I have gone through, I think Amsterdam was the least concerned and possibly Denver and Kansas City the most thorough, even when I was wearing shorts and the scar was visible. Oh well, just plan on an extra few minutes with those folks
    • Posted

Yes,  I did set off the alarm, but only a couple of minutes extra to sort it out 
  • Posted

Hi Pam, that is wonderful to hear you had such a fun time. A nice reward after your TKR journey!

You are a little over a week ahead of me. I will be 16 weeks next Tuesday and I found it interesting that you still have low confidance when walking and get very tired. I am having the same problems with the low confidance but especially the sometimes overwhelming fatigue! 

Plus after I've taken a walk or ridden the bike, my legs feel so heavy & tired, as if I'm wearing weights on them. My TKR is still very stiff and I have a lot of discomfort especially during the night, trying to get comfortable. 

Don't want to be a complainer but I'm feeling discouraged still feeling like this at nearly 16 weeks.

Are you still doing all the exercises? Thank you for your nice post! Betty

• Posted

Thanks Betty, I am not doing the exercises as much, but still try to a little each day .i want to do some regular walking and swimming , but will power gets harder lol. Just things like walking to get the buffet meals feels awkward . Trying not to limp and keep my back straight I seem so slow .i am sure it will all come together. I was told to expect improvement for a year , so still early days I suppose. I still find getting comfortable at night can be difficult but not too bad . Keep at it 

Pam 17 weeks 

• Posted

Glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday, Pam. The story of the paddling made me smile. I've been known to fall into swimming pools fully clothed - it's as if I lose my balance when I see the water 😊 And that was pre TKR! Good to hear from you too Betty. Although I am seeing some improvement my leg still gets stiff and sore especially after standing. I still do exercises, especially those to strengthen my hamstring. After a walk this morning my muscles felt really tight. I put a heat pad under my leg for about 10 minutes then did the bends on the stairs then 3 stretches. It did feel better afterwards. It's a question of working out what does it good. It's awful that we can't just forget about the darned thing and get on with life isn't it? Hopefully we'll do that one day. I'm planning a holiday abroad in January so will be prepared for the alarms😊 
    • Posted

HI Jennifer,

YES, it would be so very nice to get up in the morning and get on with the day without giving my TKR a second thought, but unfortunately I am reminded of it the minute I swing my legs out of bed!

Like you, I continue to do the exercises on my problem area, which is not being able to get it completely straight yet, and still limited somewhat with the bend. I also feel myself limping when I'm not focusing on it! I guess its all still "normal" if Pam still has the same problems at 17 weeks. Do you suffer from fatique? That is something else that plagues me and I sure hope it is temporary and all part of the healing process!

How exciting for you going on holiday abroad! Where are you going?

Yes, be prepared for the alarms going off smile   My experience was not too bad, but it would have been more embarrassing if the airport had been really busy and if I was holding people up.

Take care my friend, Betty  16 weeks on Tuesday

• Posted

Hi Betty, 

Good to hear from you. Not so good to hear you've still got problems but be assured you're not alone. I am getting better but my leg still feels like pulled muscles at the back from thigh to calf. Some days it feels looser then another it's really tight again. Standing still for any length of time is the worst.  I also still get tired but not as bad as I was. We haven't booked a holiday yet but it'll probably be to the Canaries as it's nice and warm there in January. 

Please keep in touch. It'll be great when we can compare how fit and pain free we are 😊 Jen 16 weeks today xx

• Posted

hi pam ... well done!  it must be lovely to be away and able to think about something else.  i have decided to stop making the knee my no. 1 priority.  it was driving me a bit batty.  i am now nearly 9 weeks and as of yesterday am able to walk without crutches (sticks).  i think my acupuncturist did something so i have been able to switch my mindset.  i feel like a different person and feel like i have my life back.  but today, sunday, i went back to bed and slept for 3 hours!  of course you are many weeks ahead, but they say the anesthesia stays in your body for 8 years!  not saying we will be tired for 8 years but it does explain why even at 17 weeks you have the need for naps.  ha! i didn't need a TKR to have that need so now i just sleep longer cheesygrin  fear not, your confidence will grow.  it all takes time but i can only recommend acupuncture or kinesiology.  might throw your switch as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.