Total knee replacement

Posted , 16 users are following.

Had knee replacement July 15 and was on pain meds. I have been off of them and I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Also, I can do a few things and I'm so tired I have to sit down. Knee feels so tight and it is still swollen. I'm so sick of feeling this way.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i've had my lt tkr June/02/2015 and am 11 days post op with my rt tkr.

today while getting in the bath to sit on a tub seat my new knee gave out on me. i was feeling a bit over confident. the tylenol i take isn't enough i'm in constant pain now worse from my knee giving out.

i am so pleased i found this site. i feel my husband is worried ill get addicted to the 1-2 mg dilaudid i was taking. Also i was a bit confused on it. i was proud when i stopped. now i'm in serious pain. his mother is against dilaudid. i haven't started exercises due to poor pain control.

ill have to rethink this to get better pain control.

• Posted

Addition won't happen if you are taking meds on a regular basis as prescribed. Unless you are out of pain you can't do your excercises and will fall behind. Tylenol will never handle the claim you are in at this stage.

Stop letting non medical people try and dictate your progress. They mean well but can often be the worst enemies you can have.

I think nearly everyone on here will agree that now's the time to be firm. You are you and No one else has a say in the matter.

• Posted

Should have said addiction not addition
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying so fast. My husband hates to see me in pain so. I'll take them at night. I haven't started exercising so will see about reg medication. 

Ive been down and this gives me support. 

• Posted

I had a reaction to the 2-4 mg given in hospital and don't want that again. He decreased it to 1-2 mg.

so most people take it every four hours. is that what you mean by reg.

maybe I should.

i also wanted to ask how soon did you or anyone else get staples removed. this is day 11 for me and i'm going today because my surgeon is going away. It's usually day 15 isn't it. i'm taking a dilaudid before i go.

• Posted

I shouldn't worry much about having the staples removed.  it just stings a little bit. Honestly, it is NOTHING like as bad as a physiotherapy session!!!!

• Posted

The prescription is written for # of tabs, amt of dosage and time. That's the way they should be taken. Don't wait for pain as its too hard to catch up.

It is really hard to think about people who can't take pain meds after this kind of surgery. It must be unbearable. Sometimes adding the mess with a meal is an improvement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.