total knee replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm a senior but was younger than age before and age was not an issue but now I feel OLD, very lonely, depressed, nauseated, and no compassion for life.  Pain in knee is getting better but still swollen, warm to touch and sharp pains shoot suddenly.  I drove myself to my Dr appt. and did ok... used walker. At least I got out of house. The pain meds were vital at the begining but became less affective and left side effects like big-time hangover, no appetite. this is my first time on forum and would be very nice to hear back from some of y'all out there.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Marge

I am closer to 70 then 65 and now 7 weeks post op.  Very axious and get upset easily at the moment.  Feeling extremely impatient to get back to normal life and sometimes feel it will never end.  Pain and swelling getting better and now walking and driving. Still taken pain meds as needed especially when due to do my 15 min workouts - now take about a third of at the beginning (tend to knock myself out at night as there is nothing worse then being up all alone with a throbbing knee) Still have the shooting nerve pain but the surgeon says that is to be expected.  I do get exhausted trying to carry on with normal daily living which upsets me.

Hang in there as I feel better each week and hear that the 8 week mark is the turning point.

cheers

• Posted

lorraine, glad uron this forum. your words help me realize that "poor li'l Marge's" situation is not unique. lol. Yesterday was a downer but this morning I got up and off to church. This is my 5th week and like you said each day is an improvement. best to you

• Posted

Wow - only 5 weeks post op - sounds like you are doing really well - I'd say you will start to feel a lot better at about 12 weeks but some of us take longer and some shorter. Even when you feel really good, expect the odd relapse - I'm having one today and just taken painkiller - first time for 6 months (13months on) think it was greek dancing last night and wearing heels at my birthday party in Cyprus ! At least I didnt drink too much and fall over - ha ha. Back to trainers for a few weeks I think. 
  • Posted

Marge, don't give up. I had my tkr in June at age 76. At first I was sorry I had it done because of the constant pain. I live alone so I had to push myself to keep moving, I have a very long driveway and so I would walk the driveway everyday and slowly started to walk farther. Ice and elevation is your best friend. I took Tylenol extra strenght, ate healthy and I needed to as I am about 30 pounds overweight. You will see a remarkable difference in no time at all. It was an accomplisment not to use the walker and then not to use the cane. You can do it. Keep a positive attitude, it helps. Please do not fall in depression, in a short while you will look back and think , I am so glad I had that done. I thank God everyday, I am enjoying life and am pain free. I could straighten my leg but I have never been able to bend it as good as they wanted but I am happy with the results. Marge stick with it YOU CAN DO THIS. God Bless
  • Posted

I also got side affects with oxycoden....I felt drunk...but it help for pain....now I just take half a pill....then within the two hours I take Motrin 600mg..to keep it at bay ...I try to keep pain away....

I do knee exercises....as much as possible even when it feels stiff

That stabbing pain I get on side of knee and thigh...is so annoying i use messaging oil and a rolling pin...and roll the muscle on thigh it works.....

Regarding feeling down...I do...get...depression...because I feel ..tired all the time..and want to do more....my Doctor torment body is healing...and it need rest....so I nap a lot.....burbs know it will get better......don't give up...life...is...beautiful....amen

• Posted

You're certainly not alone with this!

I'm at 8 weeks, but at times I thought my active life was over and I'd finally have to learn to knit. The tiredness and bad nights wear you down, but it doesn't last forever.

Be kind to yourself during the recovery phase and it gets better, truly. I had a painful wound infection, which was a nuisance, but it cleared and yesterday I was able to walk down the road for my first real stroll.

The pain and tiredness feel like it's never going to improve, but then it does. Looking after your diet and doing the exercises now will help you get through the recovery weeks and you will start to enjoy the freedom from the old pain and mkvement problems that led to your TKR.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post TKR next Tuesday. Played 9 holes of golf yesterday. Knee is a little stiff this morning and a few body aches from not playing in 4 months.  Hopefully you can get past your pain and fatigue. Walking and PT really helps.  Good luck. I had a prostate procedure 5 weeks following TKR was really zapped for energy still not 100%. Have to keep pushing and keep a positive attitude. 
    • Posted

John, so glad to hear you are doing so well, I had my TKR on June 12th and was determined to get past this. My grandson was getting married in California in Oct. I live in New York and I was determined to fly and go to this wedding. I did had a great time. My knee feels just fine, if I overdue, like working in the yard it may get stiff but moving round helps. You sound like you have a great attitude. Keep up the good work

• Posted

I like what you said ..be kind to youself...yes!!!!!! we women tend to forget..and worry...if other stuff...I will take care of me first!!!!!
  • Posted

I too suffered from depression after TKR. After you have a heart attack depression is well documented and doctors will warn you and be on the lookout for signs of depression. My OS didn’t mention it once not before during or after. Depression is a physical ailment and as real a problem as a heart attack, cancer or a sore knee. I believe my depression, after my TKR, was triggered by my expectation being way too high. I also believe when you have major surgery it messes with you big time. How can your brain not be effected, you are knocked out, the nerve in your leg is temporarily killed, the blood flow is cut off, the leg is cut in half put back together and then you are given some really powerful drugs for the pain. If that isn’t a receipt for depression I don’t know what is. I think the drugs they use to knock me out were enough to drive me over the edge, the rest was just a little wipe cream, nuts, and a cherry on top. The fact that I had low grade depression all of my life didn’t help. My TKR was March 2011 I have worked hard and gotten a lot of help mentally both professionally and from friends and family. Every day I drive myself to the gym, I am as aggressive a driver as there is, and after my workout I am as mellow as a person who has just smoked a big fatty. My advice is be kind to yourself, be patient it will take time, celebrate even the small victories, find a community that you can have fun with.
    • Posted

god bless. .yes...is brutal....but a day at a time...that is what I do....going on my third month ....stillnstiff and pain...but taking my meds
  • Posted

I had TKR in 2014 and again in 2015.  I can tell you, you are doing great if you are able to drive yourself to your dr appt!  Don't expect too much too soon.  Also, it is not unusual to get depressed after major surgery according to my surgeon. I found myself getting depressed after surgery (side effect of anesthesia and pain meds) myself.  I suggest you ask a friend or family member to take you for a short ride to get you out and about.  My husband took me across the causeway so I could look at the ocean and the seagulls and pelicans flying by or to watch the ships down intercoastal.  It really lifted my spirits.  We spend so much time sitting and laying down during recovery that I began to feel cooped up!  Keep in mind that as you heal your knee will be swollen, hot, sharp pains (nerves have to heal) and other assorted issues.  Be patient, it is worth it.  I use to have to lift my leg into the car after a trip to the grocery store, now I can go in and shop and walk without pain or hunting for somewhere to sit down!  Be patient, keep doing your exercises, and keep reading this forum.  One day you will realize (in a few months) that you no longer are thinking about your knee.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.