Total Knee Replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

Its been just over 3 wks since I had my TKR and I still havent been reffered to physio. Its because I was an outsourced patient and had op done in private hos now my GP is finding it hard to get me physio on NHS. Wondered if any one else had this problem. Im doing the basic excersises that I was shown in hos and lunges etc and I can climb the stairs one at a time and Im on one crutch now but cant sleep. The swellings gone down but still have that tight band feeling around my knee when I walk. My leg straightens well and bends about 90 degrees. I just want to get back to some kind of normality and back to work and Im worried the lack of physio will slow this down. I also have Hyper Mobility Syndrome so my other knee is suffering! Im supposed to have the other done 6 mths time but I at present Im so fed up I just want my life back!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I was NHS pt in a private hospital. I had all my Physio in the private hospital, they take over all the treatment. Contact the private hospital and ask for physio. I had 12 weeks of physio 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, I have contacted the hos but they refuse to give me physio as apparently the NHS stopped paying for bundle treatments two yrs ago and now only cover cost of op.
  • Posted

Hi

i also had a situation similar to yours if you had the op private did it not include physio in the price you paid because i did not get the physio until 8 weeks after the op i was doing the exersise  on the discharge sheet but should have been doing many others aswell it put my recovery back a fair bit its best to get the physio going asap good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I can imagine that it does put back the recovery so I have now put in two complaints to the NHS so see how that goes .Its so frustrating that no one seems to get back and have to keep leaving messages on answer phones. Going to give it to the end of the wk to see if my GP actually sorts this out and if not going to contact an MP.
  • Posted

Hi Rose

I had my knee replaced in a private hospital on the NHS. Was told I would have my own room. First night I did but immediately the 2nd day I had to go in a room with 3 other beds in it. The care was not good. A 90 year old man was sitting in a chair for 2 hours waiting for assistance to the toilet. I kept pressing MY buzzer for him. I was discharded after 3 days and minimal physio and had to pay for a taxi to go to my rehab,which i had for a week and was brilliant. NHS. 

After my rehab I was told I would have to wait a month for physio. Fortunately I am in Westfield and had done research before surgery. Got a fantastic phsio to visit my house under the scheme. I reccomend Westfield,but dont know how long u have to be in to claim.

• Posted

Hi Rose, I am 3 weeks out too, and in terms of what you should be doing and your progress, I highly recommend folloiwng the thread on this forum that is by Chico Marx, something like TKR (Or I wish I had another kidney stone....), sorry don't know how to link it to you! Chico and lots of others (try oldfatguy's thread) give amazingly well balanced and informtive info on all aspects of recovery.

I had my operatoin privately, and although entitled to lots of physio in the private hospital, I cant get back to London to access it at present, so I am paying for private physio at home - but only once a fortnight.  I am battling with the GP to refer me to the   hydrotherapy unit in the local hospital unit - I have spoken to them directly and they are not busy at all and encouraged me to come, but cant accept me without a referral. Very odd!

You sound like you are doing well - my bend at 3 weeks is only about 60 degrees and I am working hard at it - too hard it appears as this morning I am forced to sit with it icing and elevated because of swelling (actually to be honest the first swelling since coming home).

If it is any help, my last physio session told me to use one crutch indoors, but two outdoors for safety, and definitely one stair at a time. 

Hope that helps. What a struggle it is.

Regards

Susie

• Posted

Here's my link...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

You've gotta start breaking that scar tissue down with a PT and get to 0/+120 as soon as you can.  Pretty much everything I've learned is in the post.  Hope it helps...

• Posted

Thank you for the link its so helpful and so has everyone else been. Its good to discuss with people in the same position. I especially like the bit about post op depression, no one told me about that that Ive been very low cos of losing my independence and not being at work etc, thought it was just me Ive been hell to live with! My GP has finally reffered me again to physio so will wait and see!
  • Posted

Rosie, I'm glad there are people on here that can relate to what you are experiencing in regards tot he challenges specific to your country. It sounds like you are right about where you ought to be at three weeks post op, so whatever you are doing, keep it up. You should be at about your turning point where you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel - at least it happened for me between three and four weeks. There are some good videos and instructions online for exercises after a TKR. My PT had me practice walking up and down the stairs, but stepping as a normal person would, not having one leg step up and the other leg joining it on that same step - I had both knees replaced at the same time, so this was a great challenge, but it was so good for me.

-Mo

• Posted

There are people in this forum with far more expertise than me but I can tell you that I did not start physical therapy or even exercises for 3 weeks after my tkr. My doctor believes you need some time to heal first. Although I am doing okay I do think it would have been beneficial to start trying to get that bend a bit sooner as now it is stiffer and more work to get there. Maybe it is hard regardless I will never know. I just know that I feel I have to work harder as a result. I am 6 1/2 weeks post tkr and have my bend finally to 100 but it does hurt to get it there and still need to get it to 120. I never had problems with straightening it. I read about something called flexi-bar and bought it on Amazon. I honestly think if I had it at the beginning this would have gone SO much easier. The bar is a simple solution that really does work! I ordered it and have only been using it for a week. I think it has been a huge benefit. I would recommend it to anyone with a tkr scheduled. I wish I had mine to begin with. You can sit in a chair watching TV and use it to get your bend. I cannot wait to get measured this week. I put tape on the floor and measured with a pen my progress and each time I use it my foot can go further back. It still hurts, it's not a miracle but if done like they suggest it works!

• Posted

P.S. You can build your own flexi-bar from PVC or from the side of an old walker.
  • Posted

Peggy's right.  You start serious PT a few weeks after the surgery.  First, see your doc...staples out...start healing.  Take your meds...get sleep...eat healthy...hydrate.  Then PT starts breaking down the scar tissue that starts to form inside your knee.  Goal: zero degrees straight and greater than 120 degrees bent (0 / +120)...then exercise to rebuild all your leg muscles.  It's all a lot of hard work and some serious pain...therefore the heavy meds at the beginning.  The first weeks are the worst...it does get better if you put in the work...promise.

Everything I learned is in the link in my previous post.

• Posted

They started me with pt in the hospital and then had the PT come to my apartment two days after I got home...no rest in India! I remember thinking I was going to pull the running stitch right out with the bends.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.