Total knee replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi had my total knee replacement 2 weeks ago . I know it's early days and I need to be patient. I'm doing everything I know to do . The swelling is causing me great discomfort and I cannot bend my knee further than 50-60.....and that with great pain. Do I really push it or is that detrimental? I ice and elevate and through the day I can cope. At night the swelling and burning feeling increases and I can get very little respite. Any tips ?I I am keen to get moving but can't seem to suss out when I've maybe done too much......or not enough. Lol. Help 😊

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hang on in there Meg,it is such early days ,and I know how you feel ,we all want to get back to normal quickly ,but its not going to happen.Just keep doing your exercises as instucted,take your pain meds when you really need them,dont worry about getting hooked on them as I was,you gradually find as the time goes by you are not taking them. The swelling will go down but not for weeks,the first month I would say is hell,but as hard as it is to believe it does get better but it is going to be a long haul. Nlght time is hard and you really dont get much sleep ,but rest when you can rest is a good healer.I'm 11 weeks post op now and thinga are just beginning to get easier,but so many people have told me we hve to be patient as we are in for the long haul ,but we will get there. Good luck and hang on in there ,x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.