Total knee replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I had a tkr 10 days ago I know it's early days yet but I am in so much pain, my whole leg and foot hurts, I have a grade 2 spondylolisthesis and my back is hanging on by a thread so I guess some of the pain is sciatica, have a tens machine , used heat and ice and am currently taking Tramadol and Gabapentin, absolutely no relief, don't know where to put myself. I also have full thickness tears in both rotator cuffs and osteoarthritis in both hands both feet my other knee and left hip so am finding the crutches a real struggle. I am 61 and also have osteoporosis, is this amount of pain normal in the early days, thank you.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It will get easier Jeanette, it really will. You're still getting over the op as well as trying to cope with all the other conditions. The first two or three weeks are the worst.

I have arthritis all over my body too. The sticks were hard on my wrists and hands, so I was on one outside only after two weeks, and none in the house.

My tens for my back pain just wasn't strong enough to help much, apart from excersices and a bit of pottering about the house, I didn't do much of anything for a few weeks. I take Gabapentin also, it's for nerve pain, doesn't help with tkr pain.

But I got over it, and went on to have my other knee done also.

It's a very painful recovery. You're just at the start of a long road and will get there.

Just takes time.

I was 67 and 69, when I had mine done.

• Posted

The surgeon said it was the worst one he had done this year not good to hear, but have been really dreading having it done as despite falling apart I can usually work through the pain and regularly cycle 100 miles a week even though I can't walk. I'm already going bonkers stuck indoors so thanks for the positivity I will just have to grit my teeth and be patient 😁

• Posted

Sounds horrid, can you see your doctor and get additional pain relief?

Try to make sure you rest as well as do the exercises.

Early days...it gets better...but sounds like something more might be good.

I am in UK, so not sure if you can get morphine? Are you in UK?

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I am also in the UK, had Oramorph and Tapentadol for 5 days post op but without much relief, just wondering if an overdose of chocolate might be the way forward,lol.
    • Posted

It is hard work, and not easy, but a few months down the line you will no doubt be reaping the benefits!

I am seven months post op and it is amazing how good the operated knee is, miles better than the other one!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. There is an abridged version which is shorter as well!

It has a lot of useful suggestions and information. Everyone is very different but it might give you a laugh now and again!

Are you going to get some physio?

• Posted

Thanks Jenny I will have a look, only saw the physios just before my discharge am waiting for an appointment, having my clips removed on Monday so I might have to give them a gentle reminder.
  • Posted

It's probably a stupid reply but yes it will get better rest iceing stretches naps when you can in the chair forget about bed good food indulge yourself chocolates etc Also I said never again but im 8 months now walking etc AND waiting to have 2nd TKR My first has been a resounding success even though if I overdo it my leg swells etc Ask doctor for help ie pain control ????

• Posted

You read my mind about the chocolate Joan, I borrowed my 96 year old neighbours spare rise recliner but because of the pain in the back of my leg I can't get comfortable anywhere.

• Posted

Any additional health problems makes a TKR recovery much harder.  A TKR is very traumatic to the body.  I can't imagine using crutches with those tears.  I don't know if this is helpful but I had a TKR 25 days ago and I am in so much pain I can't do PT tonight.   I'm sorry to hear about all your pain.  

• Posted

That doesn't sound good, have you done something to set you back ? I am supposed to be having surgery on my foot next but that is non weight bearing so after this experience with crutches I don't think I will be going ahead, life gets tedious.

• Posted

How do you cycle with a bad foot and arthritic knee??? Kudos for that.

I think as you get older life does indeed get tedious, I thought having a bad back was bad enough, then knees went, years ago. Now having problems due to prolapse repair, when does it end?

• Posted

I think I did too many exercises for me.  Possibly not for others...but for me. I think I need to get out for little walks somewhere but I am so tall getting in and out of the car is too painful and it makes me hurt for hours.  Cold and damp weather causes me to have migraines so walking around our home won't work.  I wish you well.  

• Posted

It is early days , and can be very painful , are you taking anti-inflammatory drugs they can help . I was taking tramadol , co- codamol and diclofenac , which helped me . Everyone responds differently , see your doctor and discuss your medication . Hopefully you will be able to get a combination which will help with your pain . A the moment you will find it hard to believe that the pain will get better , but it really will . You could also try Voltarol ?gel . Don't despair things will get better , the journey is worth it in the end .

• Posted

Hi! You have some additional complications I don't know how to address, but know that regarding your knee it will get better. The pain will lessen and you will get stronger. So better days lay abead. Long journey but when you see some gains it's reassuring and you definitely will. Hang in there. Wishing you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.