Total knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have read on this forum of people have hydrotherapy and massage on their knee at an early stage. I have never been offered a massage or mentioned that I need one. Should I be having a knee massage. I massage my knee each night, is this enough Suzanne

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susane never had hydrotherapy but i had 10 physio therapy sessions the therapist did deep manipulation and massage on the whole leg each session and left the actual knee exercises to me at home and i must say it worked so well for me the massage definately helped the swelling and the deep manipulation again did wonders for the knee bend.She checked the knee bend at the start of each session and at the end and there was improvement every time.

• Posted

Did you pay for the massages hope you don't mind me asking, did you need to pay for your surgery. Did you see a physio after your surgery. Thank you Suzanne

• Posted

Also who did you go to for the masssage, thanks this is a great help to me, Suzanne

• Posted

Susane,the physio did the massage and manipulation all part of the session (i would of thought all physio therapists would be able to massage)Where i work we have healthcare scheme so i asked people who had,had a TKR about there surgeon and one stood out a Mr Sudakhar so i asked my GP if he could do it and it was arranged it was at private hospital but i could of had that surgeon and that hospital on the NHS but would of had to wait a bit longer,the healthcare also allowed 10 physio sessions.If i was to pay for the physio it was £25 a session,thing is susane its one on one session so it would of been worth every penny.

• Posted

thank you Brent.

I did go privately as well, but had to pay. Included in my package were two physio sessions, but he only talked to me. He said that I need to bend my leg more, my straight leg was good. He offered me a chair, which I could operate myself to bend my leg, but was too painful, so decided not to, and do the exercises given to me to bend my leg. You sound so upbeat and getting on so well with your life.

I am feeling low, so will get back to the hospital were I had my surgery and ask them about massage.

Best wishes

Susanne

• Posted

Susane i was offered hospital physio but decided against it as it wasn't one on one and i didn't think i would get the time needed.If i could recommend one think is go to a private physio and say you will do the exercises at home(they will give you exercises to do at home) but really require deep tissue manipulation and massage as i said it really progressed my recovery so much.Don't be downhearted and one thing if your knee is swollen you wont get much bend so dont fret to much about that.I bet in a month your posting in a much happier and positive frame of mind.

• Posted

Yes, Susane - Deep tissue work and massage was part of my treatment in physical therapy. My first therapist did not do the deep tissue work, and I believe that's part of why I didn't do better at first. I asked my dr. if I could see a new PT when I wasn't progressing, and my 2nd therapist was MARVELOUS! She told me she does deep tissue work from the first treatment after surgery. I'm in the U.S. and my health insurance paid for the treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.