Total Knee Replacement 8 weeks Post Op

Posted , 148 users are following.

Hi 

I am 8 weeks Post Op and wondered how you were all getting on!!

I am pleased wit my progress other than having what is commonly know as a Bursea behind my Knee, this is causing me pain on bending but mainly through the night.

I am achieving a 140 bend, can walk properly up a full set of stairs going up, but still coming down with both feet on 1 step and need to work on this.

Physio have now reduced my visits to monthly and the consultant is really happy with the 'end' result, albeit i do have to go back in 6 weeks to check the Bursea. i have been told this may be drained or surgically removed if it doesnt go down on its own accord!! 

The on going issues i have is through the night i do have pain that keeps me awake and i rarely get a full nights sleep.

For all of you out there who have either just had the Operation or are due too i can only advise to be patient, the pain and disability gets better in my opinion after about 4 weeks, each day after this i found so much improvement, i am back driving, dont use any sticks at all now, and can walk quite a distance, i still have a slight limp when walking and am working hard on 'marching' when i walk advised by physio, apparently if i concentrate on swinging my arms when walking it makes me walk straight without a limp. I am still off work and dont imagine going back for a further 6 weeks. I use an static bike twice daily and try and beat my time each day, this is helping with my muscle wastage.

I could never imagine i would feel this way 4 weeks ago but now i am doing so well i know its been worth it. My scar looks good and is just a thin line although its a bit purple looking, i still have swelling on the knee but not much, and my Knee does look a funny shape!!

I hope you are all doing good and that my experiance helps you with your recovery.

Good luck and stay positive...

20 likes, 341 replies

341 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi pegs girl.

i am due to have a right knee replacement in approx 2 months time. I have only just found this site and it was good to read your post as you sound like you are doing really well!.

can I ask you a question? When you came home from hospital was you able to get up the stairs? I have a downstairs bathroom and I am worried I won't be able to use the stairs to get to bed? I don't really want to have to sleep on the settee?

• Posted

Hi Shu

Yes you will be able to get upstairs .

When i was 1st discharged i made sure someone walked behind me going up and in front coming down.

Physo on your ward will teach you how to use stairs using your sticks . No need to sleep on sofa promise .

Like you i also have loo downstairs which was a god send only using stairs at bedtime .

I found this site straight after my operation and got so much information from people in our position . Im happy to help with any fears you have no matter how little they are to you they will 

• Posted

Thank you pegs girl!! It was so good to hear your answer. That was the main thing I was worrying about!! I feel so much better now.

i have only just joined this site and you are the 1st person I have asked a question. I think this site will be very helpful to me now and after my operation. Hope you continue to make a good recovery!!! 

• Posted

Its a great site i have had many a question answered on here and was do glad i too found it. You can read as much as you like on TKR but the best answers are from those who have gone through it. It will be hard at 1st but first but it gets easier i promise . Good luck with your operation and take care. 
    • Posted

I am into my 3rd week of total knee replacement. I like you had a great worry about the stairs as I also have balance problem. I thought about a reconditioned stairlift phoned Albion strairlifts agreed a sale after a home vist stairlift fitted almost immediately absolutely super . Slim line looks brand new and fitted with a years warranty. To say it has been a god send would be putting it mildly. I can go up and down stairs as and when I please.the cost £595. Iwill get round to useing the stairs as and when I wish I am an 82 year old widow. And I live alone.it is so important to have the stress of stairs taken from you. I fretted about it for weeks but it was so easily solved. Best of luck with the op. I am already walking around the house without any aids. So am well  on the road to recovery, hope this helps 
    • Posted

Hi Im 7 weeks down the road, yesterday I didnt need any painkillers, I walk up and down stairs, walk around the shopping centre. 

The physio will teach you how to go up and down stairs.

I had been going to the gym 3/4 times a week strengthening the quads muscles (above the knee) and that has made things easier but its certainly paid off

• Posted

Yes I  had to go up + downstairs for bedroom, I too was taught to use stairs, I would suggest you have someone with you at all times using stairs.in about 10 days I was managing fine. Take you time, I'm 8 weeks down the road. Good luck , it's so well worth it 👍
    • Posted

My stairs are really steep but going up and down has been ok even though can't walk up them properly yet just take ur time good luck

• Posted

I had my knee done 5 weeks ago. All they did in the hospital is get me up and walking on the first day and the second. I couldn't get up and down the stairs until week 2. But, like Peg, I had to have someone in front and behind. 3 1/2 weeks I could do the stairs and take my walker with me. PT will teach u how to do it.

• Posted

Hi I had a TNR when I came home it was hard for me to get up my 3 stairs maybe because I have a problem with other knee but I would suggest to use a depend diaper pull up kind just for a couple days to keep you safe or use a camode I don't think going down stairs to you restroom you'll make it on time just to be safe. Everyone is different though.

• Posted

Hi Pegs Girl

I too, am 8 weeks post op. It's good to hear how others are going. I felt the pain level dropped at 6 weeks and I was then able to do the bending exercises but I did need to medicate for nerve trauma. I was driving at 5 weeks and back at work at 7 weeks. I limp, but only because my new leg is longer than the old but this will be fixed when I get the other TKR in October. The only thing That I find annoying is the tightness around my knee not the joint just the flesh so I massage it daily to get rid of scar tissue inside. It is stiff on waking but soon loosens up. I still ice a few times a day and I do the exercise bike daily. Stairs upand down are fine but I wouldn't say that I run up ad down smile they tell me the tightness and stiffness will go but may take a year. That's ok as long as it goes. I walk everywhere now and actually behave exactly as I did before so I guess I am pleased with the progress. I'm glad you arepingwell aso.

• Posted

Hi, I too am 8 weeks, today. You are right, the pain level dropped considerably at around the 6 week period. I was quite dubious about having the surgery, this was my 29th knee op including scopes. Some of them did not go so well. Both knees have now been replaced, however, the old one is 20 years and made of stainless steel. The surgeon wants to take that out and put in a new one. Like you, I have good bend in the leg and have been driving at 5 weeks, it is just the swelling, tightness and wakes me up during the night. How long do you go on the exercise bike, the physio here told me 10 minutes with moderate tension.
    • Posted

Hi Melb46 . . did you realise you were commenting on a post of over a year ago???  
    • Posted

I am at 7 post open I had infection on July 12th surgery and had a redo on July 26. I AM EXPERIENCING CONSTANT PAIN Only time I get releif is when I don't go to pt and avoid driving . That was doctors request . When I went back to previous I started hurting like crazy again. Somebody please give me some hope . I am a commissioned salesman and this is not helping business. I initially did this to improve quality of life so that I could get my business going better

• Posted

This is encouraging - I am five weeks, I have a bend of 125 and the leg is straight.  I can walk without a limp and can do stairs.  I walk half an hour twice a day and do the exercises.  However the pain and tightness are still troublesome especially at night.  Only palexia, an opioid, relieve it but the rehab people want me off that by next week.  I am hoping to get the OK to drive and return  to work when I see the surgeon next week. 
    • Posted

You are really doing well . . just don't try to go back to work sooner than is absolutely necessary, and preferably, don't drive until you are off the opioids.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.