Total knee replacement and spinal stenosis causes lack of bend

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 7 months post op and still lacking bend only 95 degrees and also have spinal stenosis pinched nerve. I have pain in back of knee and back of thigh. seeing a chiro this week. Hope it helps with back and knee . anyone have any ideas for strengthening?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried Physical Therapy? I will be out 1 month this Thursday. I have pain, numbness and a lot of swelling on the front of the knee. But it is almost worse behind my knee and my calf feels like is about to explode. I have spinal stenosis too. Are you saying that may be the reason you don't have full ROM in your knee? Hope the Chiro works for you. Please let us know how you come out. Good Luck.

• Posted

I had lower back pain months before surgery. Physio for the back and pre op physio for knee. No problems with lower back after this. 3 weeks after surgery while walking, pain on both sides of hips and thighs and pain on left side of back during rehab while bending and straightening left knee. Back to physio for both back and knee. 3 month follow up with o/s not to concern with bend about 95 then, physio sent letter about my progress and he referrred me to someone who does steroid injections. I had one, but did not work. So now after a MRI, my family doctor has referred me for chiro . I am hoping this will help, because I still have pain after sitting even for a short time, when I stand up , pain in my side of knee and and middle of thigh. Keep icing your knee and your pain meds. What is your ROM.?

• Posted

Hello, I too have spinal stenosis, lower back L2/3 and 4/5. I had a TKR 7 weeks ago and my bend is 90 deg.

I wont see my consultant until next November. I am trying to manage the stairs in the normal way. My back pain is screaming out at me, it seems to be more painful than my knee. Do you mind if I ask your age, and what has the doctor offered for your back pain.

Throughout my TKR, I saw the physio twice, he looked at my knee and said to try and bend it more.

didn't offer any massage. Should I massage my knee. I have been caring for my wound with E45 which is really good.

This page is really good, as I don't know anyone who has had a TKR or spinal stenosis.

best wishes

Susane

• Posted

Hi Susan I am 64 and had my surgery in May 2018. I am taking pregabalin 75 mg 3 times a day. 2 at night, the pain was the worst. I would go back to physio for your knee and back. I thought my knee was causing the pain in my back, but not so. After all these months I am now dealing with scar tissue also. My family doctor referred me to chiro therapy and also shockwave therapy for my knee to help with the scar tissue. Not sure about this. Also see my reply to Purplerlover. Go back to physio or a chiro. And keep icing your knee and get some relief forfor your back. I had a MRI and now I know what is going on with my spine . Take care.

• Posted

thank you for your reply. I am takin 180mg of Gabapentin for my back pain, but I feel that it doesnt help me much. What causes scar tissue. Take care Susan

• Posted

At eight months post op, I had very good ROM but was just starting to get my strength back. Pain started pretty quickly...down both legs...like double sciatica. Diagnosed as bilateral foraminal stenosis at L2/L3...confirmed by CT/Myelogram with contrast. Surgery was my only option.

Neurosurgeon performed a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF) where they go in from the side, drill out the disk and insert a car jack-like device. Then they insert an Allen wrench to expand the device to separate the vertebrae and take the pressure off the nerve roots. Back fill with a bone graft from the hip and close.

Woke up, ran the halls, climbed stairs, all pain completely gone immediately. One night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab...miracle op. Search YouTube for "Globus Medical: LLIF Technique" for a cute animation. Then "Globus ELSA" for the implant they used on me (there are many types based on your diagnosis). See if this works for you.

• Posted

Hi Chico I have L3--L4 mild spinal canal stenosis secondary to disc bulging. Mild right neural foramen stenois. L4 -L5 mild canal stenosis same as l3 etc. L5-L1 broad posterior left lateral eccentric disc protrusion. No significant spinal canal stenosis. I am seeing my chiro today, to get more of an understanding of this MRI report and to look at the disc of this report, and hope to get some relief for my back and hopefully help my ROM for my knee. I probably have scar tissue, have you heard of shockwave therapy. My family doctor mentioned this to me for my knee in physio. Could help break up scar tissue and help with the bend. This is also something I am looking into. Thank you for sharing all your infor. All your posts are very helpful. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.