Total knee replacement is it a disability

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all one question on a form I filled in on my return to work which is a phase return is it a disability you was on sick leave as I had a tkr on 31st Jan this year so is it classified a disability

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you are in the US only your doctor can deem your surgery and subsequent recovery as being disabled in terms of being unable to work You are considered so during the recovery period but it woukd be up to the doctor to sign off on the form. Again only if you are in the States. If not i would imagine the criteria may be totally different.
    • Posted

Here in NZ The following can sign me off

A. My physio

B. Dr

C Surgeon.

The surgeon himself signs me off on a month to month basis.a6q

• Posted

Definately different by you. In the States only an MD can sign off not physio.
  • Posted

Hi Anna 

Not sure where your at but I’m here in the states. My experience was first go to doctor, schedule the surgery, get on FMLA. FMLA allows you to keep your job while your out during and after your surgery for the time your doctor feels is sufficient for you to heal well enough to go back to work. I also signed up at the beginning of the year through my insurance at work for short term disability. This is the company that pays you a percentage of your normal paycheck while your out of work. During all this time you will go to physical therapy and consultations with your surgeon.  They keep the FMLA company up on everything that’s going on with your recovery and will have an estimated date you will be returning back to work.  A lot of us are not fully recovered by this date, but well on our way, and return to work. I had my RTKR done on March 26 2018, and will be returning to work June 18th. The doctor will give you a letter so you can scan over to your human resource department if you need any accommodations such as sitting on a chair. My FMLA company told me that they need to have a letter from the doctor with my start back at work date 3 days before I actually start back. 

In my case the FMLA company has called me a few times since my surgery to see how I’m doing.  Make sure you keep records of all conversations between everyone so Incase you need to refer back to it.

I hope this has helped.

Take care and good luck.

• Posted

Hi Lynda I love in the UK it is total different here yes they have sauces light duties can sit down when my knee starts to get sore not doing all my hrs yet which the phase return is for 2wks them will do my normal time which is 6hrs a day as it involves standing. Thank u really helful. Good luck and take care.xx
  • Posted

Hello Anna,

I would say yes and if you have Osteo Arthritis ditto.

Good for you returning to work !

Janey

• Posted

Hi Janet yes I had osteoarthritis it was bone to bone also got half knee on my right knee which I had done 9 years on the 1st Apri this year. So it is classified as a disability. Thank yo u.x
    • Posted

Thank you and take care.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.