Total Knee replacement - night pain

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hi, I am 73 and had a total knee replacement 3 weeks ago. I can only sleep sat upright on the sofa as if I try to go to bed the pain is too extreme. Can anyone advise. Although I am doing the recommended exercises, my knee is still very stiff and painfu but the swelling is going down. I lived on my own and am feeling quite low at the moment as I thought I should be feeling some benefit by now. Is this the same with others?

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Eileen ,

this sounds perfectly normal . You should start to feel a bit easier soon. What Iain relief are you having . Try ice packs they help a lot. Keep doing the exercises however much it hurts . I found naproxen gives me the best relief and codeine at night .pam 41/2 months 

• Posted

Morning Eileen,

Very early days for you and what you are experiencing is normal, I'm afraid!

Exercising is vital, but do try to ice and elevate the knee as much as possible.  Plus, pain relief is so important to enable you to do those exercises.

I was advised to have two naps during the day to help both with rest and enabling the bruising to subside.  Had some of my best snoozes during those rest periods!

i am sad to say it, but for most of us on this forum, it is quite some while before we felt much benefit from the op.  Maybe 12 weeks was the turning point for me.

Keep coming back to us.  We are a helpful and supportive bunch.

Lynn 23 weeks post TKR

• Posted

Hi Eileen - just what the others have said.  Make sure you take your meds regularly as you get better pain relief then, ice and raise the leg.  Do the exercises little and often but lots of rest as well.  It is a difficult balance to get right.  From about 4 weeks on I was able to massage the knee with oil which made some of the bending exercises much easier and was generally soothing so i recommend that as well - once the scar is comfortable.  you also need to massage the scar to stop scar tissue building up.  Hang on in there and good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice and comfort message. I will definately start massaging the knee with oil as the scar area is very hard which of course is making it difficult to bend, so hbope that will help. Thank you again.
  • Posted

Unfortunately this is phase of healing that very few escape. Pain meds on a regular schedule before bedtime. Massage,elevation with ice is the best but probably still won't get it completely. Best I've ever been able to figure, the weight of the muscle sags down and upsets the nerves. Conditioning plus normal healing finally stops the pain somewhat. Change of baromoter causes swelling and changing weather with dampness and chilly weather can sent you into high levels of discomfort. I do better in severe cold than a 30-40° day with high humidity. As I have saidany times, my recliner is my best friend during this period. Right now in the Midwest of the US we are getting rain and damp with 40° temps. That is why @ 3:30 a.m. I am up and responding.
    • Posted

Gonna be a short night and very long day if the pain meds don't kick in soon. We normally don't get rain this time of the year but looks like next couple of days are going going to be kind of depressing. Next week we are scheduled to get a couple of days near 70. That should be enough to get the head cold and sinus season in full swing. Every walk-in clinic and pharmacy will be going at full speed. An old acquaintance of mine, a former professional basketball player died from complications of pneumonia this week and my grandson, a med asst in a walk in clinic, told me they are seeing more cases of pneumonia and flu this year already than all of last year put together. So hydrate everyone
  • Posted

Hi. Eileen

its such early days yet you've just had a Major op and you need rest .pain meds regularly and Ice

things do get easier I can assure you 

Jean 

• Posted

How long does it take for the pain to stop and the cramps. 
    • Posted

How long is a piece of string?

Hope you aren't suffering too much, but everyone heals at a different rate.  I suspect most people on this forum would say they begin to turn the corner around 12 weeks.  A few people are fortunate and feel better sooner, but I think I am right in saying that for most of us around the 12 week mark is the norm.

Lynn 23.5 weeks post op

• Posted

Everyone heals at a different pace .....there are no hard and fast rules ...I'm 13 weeks post op and not doing as well as some but I think better than others

i know that may not be an answer to your question  but It's all I can offer 

sorry 

Jean 

• Posted

Thanks it's ok. I am so use to being up. Good luck to you. 
  • Posted

Hi Eileen. Most people on here have gone through the same. and I can only repeat what others have said. However, when you find your way around the site have a look at all the earlier posts on here. You will find a very long list of us all saying the same and asking the same questions. As bad as the pain are the tears and depression and it is easy to fall down there. This site will help buoy you up. Personally I was about four weeks when I began to sleep better but we are all different, At 10 weeks I am almost there. Still some pain and discomfort if I do too much but I'm now ina place I wouldn't have believed possible 7 weeks ago. Good luck.
  • Posted

hi Eileen     sorry you're feeling down.   that I'm afraid is a very common feeling after this op..... I hope that if you follow the advice already given you will perk up soon.... I don't know how you are managing on your own. ... I had to go and live with my daughter for 3  weeks.... do you have anyone come in  to help?... my friend took me out in car and we used Shop mobility wheelchair to get round shops. got me out for a few hours.. .take care and hope you feel better soon... Mary 13 wks post TKR. ...
    • Posted

Hi Mary

how are you now? Getting better by the day I hope

this 13 weeks have flown by it definitely does take some time to start feeling yourself.

i'm still having sleepless nights but I'm getting around much better.

You take care  

Jean 

• Posted

I'm much better than I was thank you Jean... latest trip to physio said the reason my knee keeps giving way is because of weakness in left leg.. calf and quad muscles quite weak and much smaller than other leg.. due to not being used much in last few years. .. everyone. ..NOW  says... I should have had physio long before op... as I now have double the work to do to get strength back.... really intensive physio now...  will take at least 3 months..... mentally much better can see light at end of this long tunnel.  . hope you are doing well. 
    • Posted

I'm glad you're doing better Mary

i'm getting there slowly ...but each day sees a little improvement

take care 

Jean 

• Posted

Thank you for your message. It has been hard on my own and I do have good neighbours who check on me most days and are taking my little dog for a short walk each day which I really appreciate. I am doing my shopping online and I don't know how long it will be before I am able to drive but I know it will be a long time yet. I think also the fact that you are in the same space all the time makes you a little depressed but I should really feel lucky as I know there are thousands of people out there much worse than me. Thank you again for your support.

• Posted

afternoon Eileen... how are you today.....?

This recovery is very hard.... try not to llet it get you down too much... is there anyone who could get you out for a drive ?.. my very good friend organised a wheelchair through  shop mobility. ..  In our shopping mall... i was a bit embarrassed at first if I'm honest. .. but it was fantastic to get out and see all the festive displays ... i even got a couple of Christmas presents. ... everyone on here will give you the same advice. .. painkillers.. gentle exercises. . ice .. raise leg.... get plenty of rest and try and get a decent meal.... i lived on tea and toast for weeks. .. couldn't face anything else. .... but we really need good food to help us heal. ... If you want to chat or ask anything about recovery. .. just message me... It really does get easier and you will feel normal soon.  Take care.x   Mary

• Posted

The loss of appetite seems pretty universal.  I lived on cream crackers with Marmite for the first month or so.  Nearly drove my husband to disraction with worry.

But, if you can't eat, you can't eat ....  Nothing worse than being presented with food when you have no appetite or feel nauseous.

Lynn 23.5 weeks

• Posted

That's so true Lynn  my hubby used to bring me meals and I just shoved them around the plate.

I lived off dry toast and that was only so I could take my medication

I just didn't fancy anything else 

i lost nearly a stone in the first few weeks and now I'm 13 weeks post op and still haven't put all the weight back on ( not as though I want too)

jean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.