Total Knee Replacement Sprain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I think I have somehow injured my TKR knee joint. My knee was replaced 4 years ago and about a year ago I tried gentle yoga which resulted in a 6 month long period where it was weak and feeling lose and unstable. I was reviewed by my surgeon the week after it came right.

Yesterday, I stood up and felt a sudden pain and weakness leaving me with a limp. Today while sitting it unexpectedly 'clunked' and Ithought maybe had gone back into position but it is now throbbing and still weak.

I would like to ask whether anyone else has had anything like this and what was done to strengthen and repair? Thank you, Gena

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

GenaCam, Suggest (after consultation with your doctor or Surgeon) that you have your knee X-Rayed. The X-Ray will show if any of the plates, components etc within your TKR has moved and gone out of position

• Posted

Fully agree. No point in making any assumptions prior to x-raying the thing.

• Posted

That's not normal for four years post-op. Yes...x-ray and ortho diagnosis...

Regarding yoga... The goal after a TKR is to get to 120-degrees flexion and 0-degrees straight. Anything more than that is a gift...except when you go past 140-degrees. Sitting on your heels in yoga requires 161-degrees of flexion. The problem is no one knows the limits of these devices. Every doc and PT I've talked to says to never go past 140 as this may be beyond the limits of the device and shorten its lifespan. My 133 is perfect for daily life but I will take their advice and limit it to 140.

There are some new devices out now that are supposed to give you more flexion than the old ones but I don't know of any long-term studies that confirm this. Your doc should be able to tell you the manufacturer of your device and its limitations.

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that six months ago I had xrays etc before seeing my surgeon and he was happy. There was a little more movement than he would have liked in the prosthesis but he said that had occurred over the four years and did not need revision.

He said that it was most likely a sprain from pushing the knee outwards when doing one of the yoga positions - I have not returned to yoga since I injured it there a year ago. He said that a sprain would take 6 months to heal and I saw him a week after it settled down (at the 6 month mark). Almost cancelled the appointment but thought it safer to see him to find out what had happened.

But this week, there was nothing suspicious. I stood up from sitting in our lounge chair on Monday evening and suddenly it felt weak on the inner side of the knee. It has been weak and painful ever since - much like the previous sprain. I don't know what I had done to create this.

I am 57 years old, am pretty active and have an excellent knee bend - my surgeon was very impressed with the flexion as it was almost as good as my other 'normal' knee. I do find though that it does not have much tolerance so there is a fine line where it is happy. But this is different to the usual aches and pains that it can produce.

Thanks so much, Gena

• Posted

My body contains 4 1/2 pounds of metal (hip, knee and spine)...the result of 45 years of hockey. My deepest desire is to strap the skates on occasionally for a light glide. However, I'm very concerned about twisting the knee. Remember pounding it (running, jogging, etc.) and torquing it are absolute no-nos.

I called the Donjoy Company to ask about a brace that would lock the knee in such a way as to prevent any twisting motion whatsoever. Answer: Donjoy Defiance model with a single hinge design. About $300 off the shelf and $900 custom fit and manufactured just for you. I'm saving my pennies. If you also have a problem with twisting the knee, you may want to consider one...in any color imaginable,,,

• Posted

Hello Chico, thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely look into these braces. Best wishes, Gena

• Posted

If you want to recover your synovial fluid I advise you to take a course of hyaluronic acid filling. These injections are injected directly into the knee. You can read about them Monovisc, Sinvisc, Orthovisc, Supartz.

• Posted

Synvisc worked for me for many years with great results but it doesn't work for everyone. Also check out COOLIEF which is an FDA-approved Cooled Radiofrequency Ablation procedure that has shown great results in stopping osteoarthritis pain in joints. Check the website for a full discussion of this simple, quick procedure and the name of a certified doc in your area. When my second knee starts to go, I will definitely do COOLIEF as my orthopedist told me I'm past the window for more Synvisc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.