Total knee replacement surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 11 weeks post op from having tkr, My knee is stiff 24 /7 , still doing pt , knee gives out, sometimes i have more pain and discomfort than when i had my surgery on oct 22 2018. My range of motion is 132 , which is awesome , so far nothing relieves the stiffness, any suggestions would be apppreciated

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

i am 16 weeks Post Op. I have stiffness almost always. About 2 weeks ago I had a couple of days with greatly diminished stiffness, yesterday too. Today the stiffness is back. I am taking it as a good sign that I have had some relief. Doc says 6 months of stiffness is not abnormal, some have less, some more. YOUR ROM is great, like me you need to be patient, not easy Good luck

• Posted

Well thats encouraging, i cant even go back to work, i'm a server, and with the knee giving out sometimes i cant work, patience is running out lol . good luck to you

• Posted

I'm 5 months out from a partial and I still have stiffness. I'm told its part of the process and be patient. I just keep up with the exercises and hope to find relief soon. good luck!

• Posted

thank you , i hope we both have some relief soon, good luck to you.

• Posted

If you have your ROM back, it's time to start this...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Gotta rebuild all the atrophied muscles to take the pressure off the knee. This will take about 6 months as you gradually regain all your strength.

• Posted

thanks a lot , i will check out the website, at this point i will try anything, i've heard that acupuncture might help, i'm considering it .

• Posted

I've done that in the past. Sometimes helpful. Also try some Voltaren Gel. RX in the US, generic diclofenac elsewhere. Great topical anti-inflammatory...especially at bedtime. Remember...getting that muscle strength back takes the pressure off the knee, allows you to walk correctly, regains your balance and lets you do stairs alternately again. It's the permanent solution to the pain you are experiencing. Do the work...feel the results. Time, work and patience are your tools.

• Posted

sounds like you are doing well. remember to rest it also...ice and elevate if needed. best wishes

• Posted

yes i am, thanks, just ready for the stiffnees to be gone, whether i sit stand lay down or walk it doesn't seem to get any relief, excercises don't change it either, but time will tell, a compression band helps.

• Posted

I found lying flat on bed with leg right up, elevated way up by resting heel on wall or top of something very good. Take a look at my profile...I wrote all about my knee experience as I found it helpful! It's a hard experience, but you will reap the rewards in time! Was a good ten months for me for stiffness to lessen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.