total knee replacement yesterday

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have pvns, and have had it since I was 12. I have had 9 synovectomies, the last one at age 26 ( I now 44) then radiation after my last surgery in 1996. I was told at that time I needed a knee replacement, but they wouldn't do it until I was older. I wentered through cortisone shots, syncvisc, syncvisc-1, pysicall therapy and aspirations once a week for years. I have not rode a bike since age 12, and havent been able to run since then either. I had a total knee replacement on January 8, 2015 and today is the 9th at 2:11 am I am. I have not had ANTHING for pain since 1 pm (4 1/2 hours after surgery) I can bend my knee almost 90 degrees alreasy and have been up walking with a walker since I got to my room. I have almost no pain! I cried because for 32 years my pain has never been lower than a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. I feel like I have carried such a weight on me for that time and it was lifted off! I want to ride a bike, and run for no reason but just to run. Is this weird having virtually no pain after TKR? I f this us not a dream, I truly have experienced a MIRACLE!

4 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Miracle yes! Good for you. I am amazed how our bodies can heal!
  • Posted

Good for you. You definitely deserve some good in your life. Having been much older when the pvns was diagnosed and the unbelievable bleeding and swelling that it caused, I wish to this day I had bypassed the radiation. I feel the soft tissue damage it caused has always hindered my ability to stretch the ligaments and tendons. Sounds like you are well on your way but don't be alarmed if you do have a small set back or two along the way. It's just the body letting the brain know it has a say in these matters. You'll bounch right through it in no time. Keep up the exercise even when you think you don't need it.

• Posted

Thanks, a little pain today after he pulled the drain, but still no pain meds.
  • Posted

Did they do a nerve block? They did a nerve block on me and that eliminated pain after surgery for about 2 days. Unfortunately though, by the time I left the hospital the pain was starting. Be sure to get really good, strong pain medication to take home with you! Then all you have to do is get through rehab and you should be pain free again.
  • Posted

So glad your pain is under control. wish you all good health from now on you so deserve it.Just been diagnosed with PVNS In knee and had small tumours removed by arthroscopic in November. Knee now so swollen and painful can't walk properly or work.I'm 52 years old now and feel like total knee replacement may be offered.Will keep you posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.