Total knee replacements x 2, nearly 2yrs since first one and still having problems!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,  I had my first TKR in Oct 15 was slowly getting places with it but was being hindered by my 2nd knee while waiting for it's turn.

Had 2nd TKR Sep 16 and had nothing but misery ever since... the pain was alot worse than the first (didn't think that possible) was on opiates have been off them for months now and just take Panadiene Forte x 2 twice daily to help with pain... it hardly take the edge off. 

My first one was getting good bend at 115% and has dropped to 110% .. my 2nd knee was as 110% and the surgeon didn't even tell me what it was last visit, but I know it's way down as I am really struggling with it.

Has anyone else had this happen... I know recovery is 18mth+  but for a good bend they prefer b4 12mths this is surgeons and not physios as some physios have unhealthy expectations.

Cheers

Tracey

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had both done together Mar 2016. Very different results. One knee is perfect. The other aches daily. Nights can be tough but I take painkiller and sometimes antihistamine. I was told this is the best result I can expect. Steroid injections have been offered but risk of infection concerns me. I am considering second opinion but I have learnt to be grateful for my increased mobility. I could not get around much before. Good luck.x

• Posted

Hi Lyn, don't accept that this is as good as it'll get.  Keep working both knees hard, especially the one that aches daily.  It was told the same with mine, and decided that I wouldn't accept that and I'm working it extra hard and it's improving.  Mine was Oct 2015, so see, they can keep improving.  Re steroids, I never had a steroid shot that helped me anyway.

• Posted

Hi Tracey, I had my first TKR Oct 2015 too, have had heaps of problems with it for the same reasons as yours, got worse because the other knee also terrible.  I suggest you see ortho again if you can, if not see a PT.  Great you're down on the panadeine forte -  great job!  

If you can't see a PT or surgeon, see your GP. Still doing your exercises?  If not then back to them as well.

• Posted

Hi

It's been months since i last posted on this forum.  I had TKR on right knee in January 2016 then TKR on left knee in October 2016 and both were very different.  My second knee was much easier and less painful.  I was able to sleep on my side by day three but the bend on my second knee is not as good as my first, at the moment i'm at 120.  I have struggled with stiffness really badly and too be honest the doctors and physio's have never been much help. I now take over the counter anti inflamatories and they have made a huge difference to the stiffness, it's so much easier.  My way of getting through this is that as long as i'm happy with how i am then that's all that matters to me.  Sometimes the docs and physio's can knock your confidence and set you back.  Keep smiling and make sure you take charge of your recovery.

All the best

Therese

• Posted

Hi Therese,

my my sentiments exactly.  Had right knee done Sep 2016.  PT 4 months but still not straight.  Then April 17' I tripped and fell on BOTH knees.  Pushed me back 3 months.  Saw Ortho next day; looked at knee and discharged me.  New Ortho won't touch right knee.

so...I am basically on my own, and I've found that being active and not giving in is the only medicine for me.  However, I've been on opioids for years and they do give me enough relief to do everything except ride a bicycle on my own.

i also found that I was trying to make the PT happy more than myself.

regards and heal well

• Posted

Hi,

I had my left TKR in August 2015 and greatly regret it. My right knee needs it, but I won't have it done as my left knee feels worse than before the surgery.

I took myself off the opioids 15 months ago as they were wreaking havoc with my digestive system. So, I live in constant pain. Some days are more tolerable than others. I have to use a cane to walk, and am fighting to not go back to the walker.

I hope your situation improves!

• Posted

Hi Debz

i've been really lucky with my recovery, there are so many stories like yours on this forum.  I honestly don't regret having the ops as i can now walk for miles without any pain.  I don't think any of us are ever prepared for the first op and i certainly don't think the doc's or physio's give as much help as they should. I wasn't too far down the line on my first op when i realised that  i was better off checking out the video's on youtube rather than expect the physio's to give any helpful advise, plus i always found it very theraputic to call my knees some choice names lol. Anyway i hope things get easier for you soon.  Take care

Therese

• Posted

Thanks Therese. I envy those who have had successful TKR.
    • Posted

Hey Debz, keep working your left knee hard, all is not lost.  Do hydrotherapy - it's great for both knees - rehab for your left and prehab for your right.  Don't accept that your first one will stay where it's at.  Work it hard!  So - a physio who will give you personalised exercises for your knees with hydrotherapy.  If you can't find any I'll send you mine.  Email me for them.

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement Cheryl. I retired last week, so I will have more opportunity to get to the pool.

Seems that good physios are difficult to find.

• Posted

Terrific!  Working on your knees is now your job!  That's what I had to do and it's paying off big time!

• Posted

So sorry to hear about the pain and bend in your knee! I had a partial replacement four months ago and still experiencing pain but knee is flexible enough, if the pain would subside I would be better able to test the flexibility! I just want the pain to stop!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.