Total Left Knee Replacement Recovery ......I'm about 11 weeks out from Total Left Knee Replacement..

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm about 11 weeks out from Total Left Knee Replacement...I've had significant pain from ankle all the way up to the top of my thigh. Many nights I wake up after 3-4 hours of sleep in horrible pain....OTC meds haven't helped at night. Massaging or kneading is somewhat helpful. I'm unable to get comfortable in bed...no amount of pillows, wedges, or propping helps. it is less bothersome during the day if I pay very close attention to icing, elevating and medication.

Once it starts, it's very hard to get back under control. I'm supposed to return to work in about 12 days and am unsure how I will manage due to the nature of the work ( correctional facility) and location ( secure facility). The thigh , calf and ankle pain are worse than the knee pain prior to surgery......I've heard Lyrica may be helpful for nerve pain. Other suggestions?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

im 3 wks post bilateral tkrs. the one night I couldnt sleep was the day I didnt walk before bed. Have you tried alternating ice and heat? Both of my shins hurt; the skin is so touchy sometimes goosebumps are excruciating!

• Posted

I've only used ice thus far per doctor's recommendations....I've had interesting "spasms" that are coupled with sharp pains in my ankles. I can't imagine having two done. Who told you that alternating heat and cold would help? How long for each and location of compress? THANK YOU!

• Posted

my PT suggested it since im doing well and ice sometimes causes my knees to ache. i ice in the evening with ice machines, then soak in warm tub with epsom salt. Started swimming/walking in pool today: seems to help.

• Posted

First if at all possible take more time off work, the longer the better. If you return too soon you will not do yourself any favours. See your doctor and get some stronger pain relief, use it to control the pain don't wait until the pain gets bad. Try ice and don't overdo pt and exercise. I had 6 months off work with each of my knees, but I realise everyone is not lucky enough to be able to do that. Take as long as you can before returning to work, and if possible don't do full time straight after returning.

• Posted

Unfortunately I only have 12 weeks per my employer......What were you able to for range if motion assessments? I'm at 115 , but it's very painful to keep it there more than 10 seconds . Contacted doctor and they prescribed Flexeril and a Prendizone steroid package for next several days . No appointment until 8/28....

• Posted

As I said I was lucky to have 26 weeks, on full pay before returning to work. My range of movement was some thing like 135 and 0. I started physio the morning after my op and exercised several times a day. My medication was Tramadol, Co-codamol and Diclofenac. It's over 20 years since my op and I have had no problems, think there is still plenty of life left in the knees. Avoid any activity that causes twisting of the knee or impact. Unfortunately there is are no short cuts to recovery it takes time, don't take any notice of people who tell you what you should be able to do at any stage of your recovery. It is YOUR recovery and will be different to that of others. Good luck you will get there in the end.

• Posted

LYRICA was a waste of money for me. It's very expensive! I am 12 weeks out and doing pretty good, if I can stop doing stupid things like going to the ballpark and walking too much. I have burning on the side of my leg going up stairs, etc Best of luck to you

• Posted

Thank you for the well wishes! How and when did you try Lyrica? Today , I was just prescribed a muscle relaxant - flexeril and a steroids for the next week. Were you diagnosed with nerve pain?

• Posted

Yes, nerve pain, although surgeon says he didnt cut any nerves! Had back MRI done to make sure there are no pinched nerves . Surgeon prescribed lyrica to see if it would calm down the burning which it didnt. Still burns going up stairs, and I'm heading to back dr that may prescribe a pain doc. I hope!

• Posted

Hope you experience some relief.....just got my new medication this morning so I am hoping for some progress!

• Posted

Hi! boy you sound like me. So sorry your going thru this, I am 8wks out of tkr right side. I had a spinal and was left wit a partial paralyzed foot and pain in my upper thigh! I haven't had a solid night sleep in 2 months! my foot is so painfull and swells bad after 15 minutes on it. I was given 5mg oxy and Atarax which is a pill that makes pain pill work better. I also take 800mg Ibuprofen with the Aterax and that helps sometimes. Excersize and walking before bed helps. Use heat in the morning to loosen your leg, also on your thigh. Ice thruout the day when needed. The knee isn't bad, foot pain worse!, it's an error on the anastesiolagist part I will be aaddressing! If you have a recliner I would try to sleep there when I'm two uncomfortable that's where I go blanket and pillow in hand! lol I walk, take my meds and get relief doing that.

Good luck! be patient and get a good pain regimen, and do your exercises!

Denise

• Posted

How were they able to diagnose the nerve issue. I am having pain in both legs after bilateral TKR and the surgeon thought the epidural hit a nerve, but I was terrified of doing a MRI as I have had 9 in the past and it is something I cannot bring myself to do.

Is there anything that can be done for nerve damage, or just wait for it to heal. I am 8 months post surgery and concerned that this is permanent.

• Posted

They did my surgery as a " nerve block" ....I was only at the day center for six hours and then discharged ...it wore off at 9:30 that night. Horrible weekend after! I agree that the thigh and leg pain is worse than the knee pain , especially at night. I haven't gotten clearance to use heat yet, but will definitely ask at appointment next week.

Thank you for the suggestions!

• Posted

morning x im also 11 weeks after left TkR I am not readyto returnto work yet x iwould give yourself sone more tine to recover x its major surgery that needs time to heal x go and discuss with your surgeon about the pain

• Posted

I was able to today....starting medication specifically for the nerve pain. Supposed to return to work 8/30.....hoping to feel somewhat better by then! I hope you do as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.