Total left one replacement 3/10/20

Posted , 9 users are following.

**i have been so depressed since having surgery. i cant lift my leg. i cry several times during the days.

is this supposed to continue to be painful. i have no appetite. i have lost weight and really want to give up but i know i can't . any advise to help

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

Hang in there. This is very new. Were you unaware that this surgery is MAJOR and takes a year to recover? I had my left done (rt done in 2019) last May. It is still somewhat swollen - more than my right, and mildly painful if I stand after sitting a long time. You have to move it!! You cannot stay immobile or you will be dealing with scar tissue buildup. Its only been 10 days -- you will heal -- you will be out if pain, believe me. Reach out to others on this post, you are not alone. Be good to yourself, have your favorite coffee in your best china; put in a pretty blouse; put a little make up on; SMILE at yourself in the mirror. Believe me -- someday you'll be grateful you're done with this surgery. Praying for you, Toni

• Edited

Thank you so much. i truly needed this .

I knew it was major surgery. Been bone on bone for at least 20 years. i purposely waited until my retirement year of teaching for 34 years to do this. and here it is.!!

Again thank you for the advice!!

• Edited

IT's very early days for you still. I had a lot of pain with my first a year ago and, although the second done 2 months ago has been far less painful, it was a while before I could lift either. It was explained to me that the brain recognising the trauma the knee has suffered is trying to protect it from further injury. I used a therapy band to lift my leg (a belt or similar would work) and gradually reduced the tension in the band until I could lift and lower it unaided. It will happen. I was horrified when I couldn't lift mine and asked the physio if many people had the same problem to which she replied that most do!

Hang on in there. It will get better. It's a brutal operation, very painful and with a long recovery with many backward steps along the way, especially if you overwork the knee. For now you should be spending most of your time icing (at least 40 mins 4 times a day) and elevating your leg on 3 or 4 pillows with a very slight bend and toes above nose. Make sure you take your painkillers at regular intervals too. The first 2 weeks are really, really tough, the next 2 are really tough, the next 2 tough and then it gradually gets easier. Good luck. It's a long road to recovery, but you don't have to do it alone.

• Edited

such early days after major surgery , I too could lift mine for a few weeks, didnt have a 'leg lifter' so used dog lead to hook over my foot ( you could use a belt making a loop on the end to slip over your foot). It varies from person to person , just keep trying to do the exercises to strenghen your leg muscles . x x

• Posted

Here's some "light" reading... PS: You are completely normal. I was still drooling on my pajamas at 6 weeks. Now I'm 4 years post op and soooo over it. However, going through it was a nightmare for the first 12 weeks of getting my ROM back all because I had delusional EXPECTATIONS. Hint: Get rid of all of them plus any imaginary time tables....they just screw with your head!!!

Post-Op Depression

The TKR Experience

ROM Work at Home

Muscle Rebuild

Click on my name, Discussions, See All. I've got about 30 of them out there on a whole range of topics including sleeping. And post this on your fridge...

...and don't forget your oars for the boat part of the trip...

• Posted

You are only 2 weeks from the operation. This is very early days and perfectly normal I would say. I had TKR 8 years ago.

Are you going to start having physiotherapy? This will help.

Hang in there. Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

thank you Sara. i start therapy tomorrow.

words of comfort really help!

• Edited

I'm 48 and had both knees replaced I last 2 years. I agree with you it is depressing situation, I couldn't lift my legs either but it will get better. you need to focus on physical therapy and small rewards. I went from no movement to literally lifting my leg 1 inch at a time. little by little you will recover it just takes alot of work, stay positive and that knee will keep getting stronger. I can now walk 5 miles and the more I do the better I feel. you just need to be patient and stay positive. you are so early in your recovery people have no idea what knee replacement recovery is like until it happens to them. keep a smile on your face even when it hurts, it will get better!!

• Edited

thank you for your words of encouragement. I really need it!

• Posted

Do hope all the replies have been helpful and you're feeling more positive . Sending best wishes and a virtual hug x image

• Posted

thank you so much and yes all the replies are very helpful during this journey to recovery.

Love the Hug!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.