total let down

Posted , 8 users are following.

just had hip revision surgery replaced the ball and liner plus a lot of bone graft after surgery dr said 2 months on walker only 50 percent of weight on left leg didnt plain on this.anyone else go thru this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had revision surgery in July '18, following 3 dislocations of a THA 3 years ago. In my case healing has been very slow due to major tissue damage from dislocations and infections. I used the walker for 6 weeks and have been on the cane for 4 months. Was doing very well. My hip was strong and I walked a great deal every day. Two weeks ago , my revised hip dislocated. They tell me this is very rare; but I am very discouraged. Now my implant makes a lot of noise. I'm on strict precautions for 2 months now. Do not get impatient, your bone grafts take a while to heal. I wish you continued steady recovery .

Deborah

• Posted

Not the same. InIn my case rather than fit liner and ball he took whole thing out and half my femur and pelvis with it!!

Now unable to get a standard replacement back in. Too much bone loss during op. Oops!! I'm non weight bearing in full body brace with spacer since April. Wish oh wish id listened to my gut and not the oh so optimisitic surgeon assuring me if be as good as new in 6 weeks.

Now trying to fob me off with femoral replacement as cheapest option. Second opinion agreed bone grafts will be better. Available in new York to the super rich.

Waiting for scans and to meet a third guy who is supposed to do grafts.

Lost all faith tbh. Best in UK they told me. They've butchered me.

• Posted

So sorry. Your experience makes mine seem easy. Bones are slow healing. My recovery has been slowed by my rheumatoid arthritis. Sending healing wishes for your recovery.

Deborah

• Posted

I had THR on both my right and left hip 1 1/2 and 1 year ago. I have no pain which is wonderful. However, I must use a cane because I have a very bad limp. I had physical therapy for both hips and continue to exercise on a stationery bike and hip abductions and adduction weight machines without any difficulty. My orthopedic doctor keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with my hips and he takes an ex-ray at each visit. I inquired about revision surgery, but he is against it. He said there is no difference in leg length although I did try using a lift. When I try standing on what I think is my good leg, and lift my bad leg, the bad leg turns in at the knee. I am also wearing out my shoes on the inside of the heal of my foot. The foot does not land properly with each step.

Has anyone had revision surgery to help correct a limp?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.