Total shoulder replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,I’m a 45 year old man, I had my shoulder replacement September 13 2017 I’m about 5 weeks post op and feeling pretty rough.would like input from others on there experience of having total shoulder replacement , thanks info appreciated

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Although I haven't has shoulder done, I have had finger joints replaced. You say you are feeling rough, that's not very helpful, what exactly do you mean?

I found that the physio was so important to getting better quick. I also had to take pain relief for a long time after the surgery. I tried to give it up, but it was so painful. I managed to get off the hard stuff the hospital gave me and the paracetamol worked fine. I kept taking it for quite a few weeks and then started to reduce the dose. 

• Posted

Hello, when I say rough I’m referring to a tight feeling in my shoulder up on top where the tendon was cut, and also very sore at the joint. I am doing my rom stretching with the pully system . I was doin ok up until 3 weeks ago I uped my pain medicine , but still very sore even when I walk it’s uncomfortable in the joint, I have my 6 week check up next week so I should find out more info from the surgeon, I knew going in it would be a tough rehab , was just unsure if what I was feeling was normal. The only info I could find was patient tessmonials, but they only talked about end result and not how they progressed during post op,Thanks for any info!
  • Posted

Hello Jason,

I haven't had a shoulder replacement, thou i have had my left knee replaced twice and a partial on my right knee. Talking from experience, all major surgery is different for each patient and recovery time can vary acording to many factors. Your general health can have an impact, keeping up with exercise etc. It can take up to 12 months to fully recover from major surgery. When you see the Consultant next, explain exactly how your joint feels and the pain you still have. I am sure you will be reassured that your new shoulder is doing fine. Eat healthy, rest, exerice and try not to be anxious. 

Elizabeth

• Posted

hello,update 4 months post op shoulder replacement,very  hard recovery I am still working on rebuilding muscle.I really thought I would be farther along I can not really do much of anything yet I am still very sore rom is good I still am working on taking a shower reaching with new shoulder is difficult ,i knew it would be hard I am trying to say positive and exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.