Total Thyroidectomy done a week - feeling so far so good!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All, I havent been on here for ages, I was feeling soo bad last many months taking 40mg carbizamole in 5mg doses, was draining plus the goitre got very large, was having trouble swallowing slightly, I looked grey in colour, my hair on the top of my head was gone limp and sparse, the exhaustion was undescribable but im sure many reading this understand that, I was only existing through each day, no motivation or inclination to do anything beyond what was needed, so my endo decided the goitre had to come out there was no let  up on my symptoms my tsh was practically moving between 22 and 54, down to 17 up to 38 it was constant so I went for surgery a week ago today, i am nearly afraid to say how good i am feeling for fear ill jinx anything biggrin tremors gone, overheat gone, eyes look normal, neck tiny etc etc. The surgeon said it was a tricky surgery as the goitre was huge much bigger than he had previously envisaged, as soon as the evening time came and I got up to go to the bathroom I could feel strength in my bones that i hadnt felt in a long time, i looked good (no large lump in my neck...i wasnt looking that good!!), today i can swallow with ease, yes i have the tightness of course but my neck is tiny and i feel human, i feel really really good, i am on eltroxin 150mcg, for the moment until my blood work is done in a few weeks, i dont need the pain meds for a few days, i can eat as normal its great, the surgery went great, my parathyroids and vocal chords were kept intact, calcium levels were normal throughout and after so i think Siobhan is back, or even a new one! I am going to go on a nourishing tonic in a few months to cleanse my system this time two weeks ago i was in hte horrors feeling so bad, crying getting up in the morning with tiredness after sleeping all night, now I feel ive a pep in my step, any tips from here on in would be appreciated, i know i may battle with weight gain from here on in but ive had a lot of weight gain on hte carbizamole, i had 7 pounds gained the week before surgery alone so as long as i am keeping an eye on my diet and get back to my previously enjoyed walks, it should be fine, anything is better than what i have suffered anyway, thanks everyone!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Siobhan

I think it's fantastic that you are feeling so well. I haven't had such bad symptoms as you, but my TSH levels have fluctuated like yours and I have a very large goitre, which is going to be removed in April. One of my biggest worries is that I will feel worse when I am hypothyroid, but hearing your story I feel much more positive about it now.

Thanks for sharing your good news.

• Posted

Hi Glennis99709 I think its diffrent for everyone, even my surgeon said the forms freak him out but never question his abilities to make us beeter and i have to say i agree with him as I do feel much better, some of the stories are frightening but im proof at the moment one week on that the plug has been pulled on my symptoms, to look at my hands and see no tremors, i am actually feeling the cold tonight, i have been like an electric blanket ofr five years on 6 which is grand cold nights but very uncomfortable other nights, I know weight gain is a worry but i know two women in my area who had the goitre out and look fantastic, the surgeon assured me once i stick to my eltroxin daily there should be no reason for excessive weight gain but to move away from the table when we are full nad who can do that without motivation? Its up to ourselves basically a lot of it, ill let ye know how im doing im sure it wont be all rosy but as it stands i feel super, we are women we dont like weight gain but its not going to be my biggest crutch, feeling well is and i am that anyway so far biggrin
  • Posted

Hi siobhanire, delighted to hear you are feeling better.  You have given me hope about my upcoming thyroidectomy as many of the stories I read scared me to death.  i am in particular worried about weight gain.  Can you let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

Hi ariadne43, I am glad you feel  hopeful as I honestly feel great today, i got up, showered, dressed and went for a coffee with my Mum she remarked I wasnt exhausted looking and didnt even yawn once!! I feel alive lets put it like that without sounding dramatic, i understadn you are worried about the weight gain but to be honest ive decided im not going to get hung up on it watching for it as there are two women in my area who had it done and look fabolous, they enjoy their walks, a little aerobics and coffee and muffin if htey want it, that is living, being feeling dreadful with thyroid issues isn't so dont beat yourself up worrying about it, you will feel wonderful after the thyroidectomy cos if i do theres hope, i was in the horrors with my symptoms and today feel great, energised, no sore throat, can swallow without the lump there, no irritability with my family, not wanting to eat al around me either, there is hope, watch this space!
    • Posted

long may it continue siobhan!  I go for my pre-op for tt on 27th of feb and hoping for date soon.  Just want to feel somewhere normal again

• Posted

You will be absolutely grand i hadnt even nerves when i went in the day before for the op as i knew anything would be better than how i was feeling but thankfully all is good, better than i had hoped, onwards and upwards!
  • Posted

Siobhan, can I ask what exactly is eltroxin?  Is it a form of thyroxine
    • Posted

Eltroxin is the medication you must take once the thyroid is removed or you are underactive while having the thyroid in place, for me it is replacing the thyroxine I require, substituting the thyroid's function, i saw an Irish model saying in an interview last week she has an underactive thyroid yet doesnt have to take eltroxin as she designed her own diet to substitute it herself i dont know about that its working for her but longterm my Consultant it is a necessity not an option for ultimate regulating metabolism, the med for overactive thyroid is neomercazole/carbizamole
  • Posted

Hi siobhanire. Just replied to you on another post before I read this one. Glad you are feeling so good after your surgery. I had my thyroid and goitre removed 6 months ago and feel so much better as well. The only thing with me is and it might not be relevant to you. I was on anti drepressants for many years and do find my mood swings coming and going a lot. But i put a lot of that down to nasty ex husband and losing my mother. But you will be so much better in so many ways. Like you say just having your neck back is so good, and my eyes settled down as well, I have gained a little weight but not overly. Trying pilates at the moment to help with that as getting remarried in 4 weeks and need to fit in the dress....Sleep patterns returned to normal and wasnt that fantastic!!! Energy again and even though a little brain fog still so much better than it was. So glad I had the surgery and I hope you will be the same.....good luck...
    • Posted

He Debbie! Thank you for your post, I am thrilled to read that you are doing so well, I am two weeks over it now, strength back, I ballooned after the amount of carbizamole I had to take so I dont know how i will shift this weight but ill give myself plenty of time, out with the walking shoes etc. Yeah i feel my eyes are still a bit fixated looking, my hubby says they are a bit when i get tired still so please God they will settle too they were a big issue for me feeling so self conscious of that, I tis just great to feel so well, this time two weeks ago I was crying having to get upp in the mornings to get dressed after having a bad night sleep, even if i felt i slept well the mornings were terrible and it was a constant yawn for the day, no energy, limp hair etc well best of luck for the wedding Debbie and the new chapter in your life!

• Posted

well done you.

I had my thyroid removed on Friday 13th.  7 days later and I have a husky voice with no range, volume  or strength. I am hoping it will get better. its early days....

You managed so well best of luck to you.

It is good not to feel the palpatations and flushes and to able to sleep!

good luck for the future

• Posted

Hello! It is early days for you take your time and remember to be a bit selfish and take all the time you can to rest when you can, it is so important, plenty of early nights anyway, It is two weeks yesterday for me now and I feel great, I have my strength back, I am a little paranoid that my eyes still look a bit fixated but I am told this is not the case, I have a lot of weight to lose I dont know how it will shift, I was on a lot of tablets 12 months prior to surgery and have ballooned, lost a little after the surgery and recuperation but its not my biggest issue anymore, I have read it is possible to gain weight rapidly after the thyroidectomy so it will be on with the walking shoes and cut down on portion sizes from now on, I have just had porridge so I am going to make soup for lunch, a healthy dinner and plenty of water in between hope it works! Best of luck with your recovery, I was hoarse for a week, just try not to talk too much if you can and rest, rest, rest, take care
    • Posted

Hi Siobhan how are you feeling now? I am.2yrs post surgery. On 150mg eltroxin. Some weight gain and days where i feel exhausted. Just wondered if everything is still going so well for u as ur story is one of the few positive ones out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.