Total Wrist fusion

Posted , 2 users are following.

22 years old with AVN of capitate in left hand (not writing hand) for 6 years following a diving accident. Had steroid injections and nerves removed without any pain relief. Seriously considering a total wrist fusion (the only option offered by surgeon). What could I expect life to be like after that operation?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you been referred to a pain clinic? I would consider that before opting for surgery that will restrict your mobility and may not resolve the pain.
    • Posted

That's a really good point. I work in NHS and refer people to pain clinics often. I have applied all the strategies already without any pain relief (pacing, adapted goal setting etc). I believe it was a case of waiting until my pain wasn't bearable anymore, that was when the wrist fusion would come in. Unfortunately, it has come sooner than expected! It's a big decision, I need to know more about my limitations after surgery?
    • Posted

I wonder if nerve block is available? Also are you sleeping ok? May be worth considering low dose amitryptiline at night to reduce pain during the day?
    • Posted

I wonder if nerve block is available? Also are you sleeping ok? May be worth considering low dose amitryptiline at night to reduce pain during the day?
    • Posted

I have naproxen, but the side effects are strong. I'll see whether I can get some Amitryptaline. I'm not medically trained but I had the nerves removed in my forearm which I think is a step further than nerve block, but it didn't make any difference. I am offered either a partial or total wrist fusion depending on my next X-Rays and MRI outcome. If the wrist has collapsed it will be total but if not partial fusion.
    • Posted

It's worth talking to your GP. pain management had moved on a lot since fibromalgia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.