Totally devastated

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hida scan recently showed non functioning gallbladder. Did this privately but was told by my consultants secretary they didn't like me arranging anything private myself. They arranged another Ultrasound which I said would be as pointless as the one I had a few months ago. When consultant had results of Hida he immediately shipped me on to as he said a more qualified consultant in this area. This person then put me on a seven month waiting list. My GP requested he see me as an emergency but he has refused and now has questioned the pain and discomfort I feel as being related to the delayed emptying gallbladder as he is now calling it also saying it's very rare!!! He says it could be due to another disease process. So in seven months as he states he will be able to let me know if he can help me. I have already instigated a complaint at the hospital and will approach the press next week. I have terrible pain and discomfort and as I have diverticulitis as well it all gets very very uncomfortable at times. I cannot believe it I really thought the Hida test was the answer when it showed non functioning gall bladder but obviously not in the eyes of this man. Maybe as he is playing God he can give my GB the Lazarus pill and it will come back to life.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi spaced am sorry to hear you are suffering like this. Could your gp refer you to another hospital? I would have thought if your gallbladder was non functioning it should be removed? What percentage was it? Could you go to casualty in another hospital with the pain? I wish my surgeon had been as over cautious as this doctor as I had a perfectly normal gallbladder removed due to 1 stone 4 months ago and have been going through hell ever since. I didn't even have a hida scan just an ultrasound which showed the stone. I was having pain but totally regret having the operation now. Some doctors are too quick to remove the gallbladder and now it seems some are too cautious. I hope your gp can get you seen by another hospital or doctor soon. Good luck x
  • Posted

My hida scan showed a non-functioning gallbladder as well. I had it removed and it was completely healthy. No disease, no stones. A month later I had surgery for a complication and a week after that I almost died from a bowel obstruction & complications from surgery. I am now completely housebound due to bile salts diarrhea & malabsorption syndrome.

I would say research everything before letting them take your gallblader out.

• Posted

That's absolutely terrible Bostongal. Am so sorry to hear you have gone through all that. A lot of doctors are too quick to take it out. Mine too was perfectly healthy with 1 large stone that was giving me pain. Have gone through hell for the last 4 months. Totally regret the operation and really believe I didn't need it. There's too many people having healthy gallbladders removed and the patient then being left with life changing conditions. I am so mad that my surgeon took mine out and am so mad at myself for allowing him to do it. He told me it could get stuck over Christmas and my gallbladder needed to come out. Am sorry to hear you have bsm. I think I may have it too and am taking calcium, probiotics and psyllium husks to soak up the bile. Tried questran and it made me worse. Take care x
  • Posted

If you can get your magnsium, vitamin d3, b12, potassium and iron levels checked. Any combination of these being low can wreak havoc on our digestive system. I hope you can find a non surgical alternative
  • Posted

I almost got my gb removed because I got crazy nausea for days and digestion problems, but thank god I didn't remove it . This famous gastroent. In New York was so quick to believe colecystitis and set me up for hida scan and endoscopy , I was so panicky and took the matter in my own hands , went to chinatown doctors and labs ,got abdomen MRI with biliary test , ultrasound ,endoscopy , new doctor +blood tests which showed no problems anywhere, did everything in 4 days and paid almost $1300 for all .....well worth it as I have no insurance.

Eventually after 2 1/2 months I felt better and the new Dr. Believed I had a combination of food poisoning ,panick attacks and high stress

So my advice to you is don't take it out until you are absolutely sure the GB is diseased and do all the test possibile , I'm sorry that your country health care system is so slow and rationed , I hope you can find affordable private alternatives and you can do everything quicker , I cannot fathom waiting forever for healthcare.

I'm praying that you get better soon

• Posted

I'm so sorry, it's so hard to get these Drs to understand how debilitating these symptoms can be. I understand the need for caution and I know it must be awful if you have complications from having the gallbladder removed, but I am also know so many people who have had their lives changed by having it removed, so it hard not to want to get the blasted thing and quickly. I hope your complaint gets things moving , I am starting to believe that the only people who currently get treated because of the long waiting lists, are those who make a fuss! 
  • Posted

Hi Spaced. Sorry to hear you are suffering. I agree this is not acceptable. Can you not be referred to someone else? Are you in the Uk? X
    • Posted

Thanxx for your reply. Yes I'm in UK. I am looking at private options abroad which are half the price of the UK if I cannot get anything sorted here. I have had issues with this area for over twenty years. Used to be the occasional pain and irritation but grown into a more constant issue now. I have been referred with it a number of times and nothing ever sorted out. I begged the consultant this time in a letter to help me. He just refused. In effect I am now waiting seven months for him to tell me what he has already said in his letter which is well your pain might be due to the dysfunctional gallbladder or maybe in his words another disease process. So he suspects another disease process but obviously feels it's not worthy of following up for at least seven months (this really worries me more than I can say...what other disease?...) . That seems very dangerous to me. I think I may try and establish what other areas and tests he would do to try and establish something else is wrong and try and get those done privately rather than wait seven months. I am at a loss generally and really shouldn't have to do this. It's taking over my life. I will also see my GP in two weeks and try a private referral to a different local hospital. I really believe they are being awkward because I had a private Hida scan which showed them up as being incompetent because they did not arrange it themselves. I was told they didn't like me doing it. So my life in the hands of clowns. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.