Totally devastated by this illness!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All

I've posted before but today I'm having a really bad day. Feeling so nauseous with my ear full and ringing. After having a good day yesterday with a slight bit of wobbly head I woke up to feeling c**p. Even my jaw feels funny today like it's to big for my mouth. Odd I know. Can I ask you all if you were given various tests as I have been referred for ENT but the appt isn't til November. I'm on betahistine tablets but scared to take them daily as I read it hinders recovery. Not one doctor has actually said what I have but hinted at Labryinthitis. Been off work 2 months and no sign of recovering yet. I'm wary of exercising as I may do more damage than good. I have another doctors appt this week to get another sick note. Should I demand more tests done as not one doctor has given any advice on how to cope etc.

I really am not coping well and not sure how to get through to the doctor how I'll I really feel. As I've suffered with anxiety in the past I'm sure they think it's all in my head. Wish it was sometimes as then it would go away.

This is a devastating illness which has changed my whole life.

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Helen I’ve had two awful days with mine it’s getting me down do u find yours is worse some days than others . It’s actually making me really anxious as seems to be getting worse  not better doctor last week said it should be cleared up within next week so I’ll only give you 7 days of sickness pills. How long was it before your doc referred u to ent x
    • Posted

Hi Helen

My doctor referred me to ENT a month after my first attack. Nothing is every quick here on the Isle of Wight.

Sorry to hear your feeling worse. The first 2 months I had the odd good day with no ear fullness or dizzy turns but this last month I feel bad every day!!

Went to the doctor again today and as my ENT appt isn't til November she suggested I went private. A bit difficult as I'm not earning any money as off sick from work and on low SSP rate.

Tried to do some painting of walls at home but gave up as just brings on the swaying.

I can't remember now what life was like before this came on.

I hope your doctor gets you referred ASAP. It's like being left in limbo to fend for ourselves. My doctor actually admitted she can't do anymore for me apart from give me betahistine tablets which do help a bit.

Hope you get a referral soon and try not to get too anxious as that's a killer. My anxiety went off the scale at first but I think it's under control now as I'm getting used to feeling unwell.

Let me know how you progress. At least we're not alone.

• Posted

That's disgusting that your GP has suggested you going private Helen. Don't do that, why the hell should you.  I waited over 30 weeks to see a neurologist and even then i had to fight and push or it would have been much, much longer.

It really pi##es me off in the fact that if your GP was going through what we are i bet they wouldn't be palmed off and made to wait that long. I also found something interesting out when talking to neurology that going private makes no odds unless you can afford all your tests private as you still need your 1st outpatient appt through the NHS system before tests anyway.

Out of interest Helen when your ENT appt comes round in November how long will your total wait have been? Also it's a bit odd you've been given an appt for that far ahead, have you actually got an appt letter or have you just been told it should be Nov?

• Posted

Hi matt

Yes I was dumb founded when she suntested it. I've had an appt letter with the date etc. My mother in law waited 6 months for hers too. I was referred in may and 6 monthas is the norm here. We have 1 hospital to cover the whole of the island and it's so understaffed it's scary.

I have been offered a loan my my in laws but not sure if I can pay it back until I go back to work. I never thought about the other follow up appointments. They could be 6 months down the line too so maybe I would be wasting my time and money. I just want to know what the hell I've got as bumbling my way by reading posts and Internet sites but until I have a proper diagnosis I can't start any treatment.

I've also waited 3 months for an eye appt at our hospital as I have pressure behind my eyes. At least I have that appt next month.

Bloody useless on our island as we are so over populated.

Thanks for your advise I will reconsider going private!

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me Hun yes anxiety is a killer I done the ironing tonight tht was fun grrr I find standing still really hard the best I feel is going along in the car looking straight ahead  but when we stop I feel like I’m still going it’s all so off my ears really ring tonight  likecsome one is running their finger over the top of a glass  you know when someone wets their finger  and rubs it’s round the rim tht and hissing grrrr   Let’s hope we get some relief soon the docs don’t seem to give a s**t x 
    • Posted

I think it's the same wherever you are Helen.

The town i live in now has a population of 100000 plus, when i moved here 34 years ago it was about 40000. Our hospital is now smaller than it was back then and we had two little hospitals which we no longer have.

Most of our hospital services have been split between the three hospitals  in my area's NHS trust. One is 20+ miles West and the other 20+ miles East. They've taken away our maternity services so people have to travel 20+ miles to have a baby. We have no emergency surgery services anymore. No paediatric services anymore. Limited cancer services, so most people are having to travel for chemo and radiotherapy in a sick and fragile state. Limited cardiovascular services.

A couple of my mates are paramedics and a large part of their shift is being wasted with them having to take patients to what hospital now has the service the patient needs rather than the closest as they've split the services. Sometimes that could be a 50 mile round trip.

My paramedic mates have also told me how they've done away with all the small ambulance stations that served some of the smaller towns in my area and if someone was to have a stroke they've got no chance as the ambulances are now to far away.

Sorry for the rant, but it's all bol##cks.

• Posted

My god thats dreadful matt. Perhaps I should think myself lucky!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.