Totally fed up .. 2 operations later

Posted , 3 users are following.

After constant ear pain finally got to see ENT consultant last year. Ended up having an operation as had deviated septum which was causing a retracted eardrum. Anyway stitches caused a hole and had op no 2 which hasn't worked. I now have 2 holes in my septum causing my nose to whistle on top of chronic ear pain, crawling sensation, tinnatus and feeling sea sick!!!! Its really getting me down. Try to pop my ears but the right one gets full an then pops ages later. Is this etd and is there any medication or operation that can help??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh Clair...what a terrible time you have had!  I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles with all of this.  Have you seen any other ENT about your septum problems and retracted ear drum?  It certainly sounds like you need to begin over with another doctor....one who specializes only in ear problems....not all ENT do. Where do you live?  Is there a University Hospital near you?  If so, I would contact them and ask for ENT recommendations as soon as possible.

• Posted

Thanks tanney. I have been in touch with the ENT department and been advised that the consultant should deal with my ear problems ... we shall see. Waiting for the secretary to get in touch.
  • Posted

Morning Claire,  First of all which country are you in.  It does certainly sound as though

you are in fact suffering Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  Tubes that won't drain, is exactly

that.  We all suffer same on this Forum and we all know what a miserable condition it is

too.

Really surprised to read you've been left with holes....that's not good !!  There is a procedure

called Balloon Dilation and also one where Tubes are inserted.  Both of which in England are

not recommended for me.  I suffer Rhinitis and Allergies, which in turn causes the ETD.  I use

a 6 weeks cause of Flixonase Nasules (administered with head hanging over bed) after the

6 weeks I revert back on the Flixonase Aqueous Nasal Spray (which isn't a strong as the Nasules.

When my ears are badly congested and inflammation is bad I ask for a 20 day reducing course of

Prednisolone steroid tablets.....these work with 4/5 days, getting rid of all the inflammation, which

causes tubes to be swollen and clears the ears of all mucus.  These tablets mustn't be used too

often, however, I have to take them every other year, or I try to go 3 yearly, depending how bad it

gets.  I've suffered this condition for 30 years, on and off, but more on than off.  Most days I have to

pop my ears.  I've suffered 6 perforations this year.  That's when I see my ENT consultant and he uses

Microsuction on my ears to suck all the thick sticky mucus out.  I make a lot of mucus due to allergies.

So it's an on going problem.  My issue is always the left side....left ear and blocked left nostril.  Such

a miserable condition, that drags us all down.

Regards

Anne 

• Posted

Anne how have you coped for 30 years? Sounds you have had a tough time. I'm in the UK and have been back in touch with GP and ENT. Just waiting to hear back about an appointment. Can't believe I went in with ear pain and ended up having surgery for a deviated septum and when the stitches came away ended up with a perforated septum. Second surgery was to fix the perforated septum but this has failed and I now have 2 holes in my septum. My ear pain is constant and feel totally fed up! Feel a bit wonky today and have walked in to doors and desks. Just hope I can get some relief

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.