Totally off V 3 months but struggling

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been off Venlafaxine for three months. I can't tell wether or not I am feeling axious and or depressed and  or having crying spells and dark thoughts be cause of the drug still( very far and few between) or if real life situations are just rearing their heads.  Any thoughts any one out their thats gone thru the same experiece and things have gotten better? Or do I just have to deal with my life and move on.. I feel my temper is out of control and angry. I had stopped crying for a while and now can't stop. I've heard some people say they didn't stop with the withdrayls for a year. Please help me understand if any one out there has been through the same feelings after 3 months off . Thanks!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm off also for about 3 months and I'm having the same problems. I had psychotherapy during past month but still, I'm emotional, low mood, tired etc. however, I already got rid of beeing angry and beeing out of control. every week it is getting better now. To beat horrible anxiety I started to go to gym and found it soooo much helpful. Sometimes the endorphins from workout last for more than a day. So do not despair, it will get better. G
    • Posted

I use to work out 5 times a week.  I ha foot surgery a month ago and won't be able to work out prob for another 2 months the way I used to. I was anxiety ridden when going on this drug. this depression thing is new to me and scares the sh*t out of me. I thought I would be so much better by now.

Thanks so much I see dr soon. Maybe I can do some kind of work out.    

• Posted

If you feel like this within weeks of stopping then it could be that you are not free of depression.  If it happens months after, then yes it could be withdrawals.  Takes time.  I was off for 6 months and got very nauseous and could not eat and lost lots of weight.  As I had put on a lot of weight whilst on Venlafaxine I did not mind too much.  I will never know whether it was delayed withdrawals as I had none at all when I withdrew over 10 months.

16 months since I stopped and doing OK now, but still get ups and downs.  Hopefully you will begin to feel better soon.,

• Posted

Thanks Anne. Just when I thought I was out of the woods......I guess I need to give my self a full year to be clear. 
  • Posted

I think you may be dealing with withdrawal and with depression and anxiety.  Depression and anxiety are not cured -- they are controlled at best.  I began withdrawing -- after some 20-odd years on medication of one kind or another -- about a year ago and am still trying to cope.  I decided to come off all meds because they simply were not working and my doctor's answer was to jack up the dosage and add additional medication, which also did not get the job done.  I tapered initially but haven't taken anything at all for nine months.   It has gotten better but I still cry uncontrollably every single day.  I am still dealing with rage -- driving my car is a nightmare of impulsivity --every single day.  I have extreme anxiety most of the time.  I am still suffering from vicious insomnia.  I believe that withdrawal is a two part process.  At first, one is dealing with getting the drug out of one's body.  Once the drug is out of our systems, we begin the second step which is waiting for our brains to once again begin producing the neuro-chemicals that the drugs mimic.  I have read that this can take a couple of years.  What I do know is that I will never go back on venlafaxine.  It is a vile drug with horrible side effects and it is brutal to withdraw from.  Good luck to you.  If I can do, so can you.
    • Posted

Thanks Maureen,

At least if I know. What I'm in for. I can deal with it .

Thanks so much all of the replies have given me hope. I just have to keep stepping forwarde. 

• Posted

Hi ncoules

I have been off ven for about 9 weeks and still feeling really bad. Worse depression and anxiety, very bad headaches and stomache pains, bad temper at times and crying a lot. I have read that it does take a while for this drug to clear out of our system but we are all different and some people only get these withdrawal for a few weeks and some people suffer this for a good few months. I know that there is nothing I can do to hurry it up so I'm just hanging in there and hoping and praying that I will feel better sooner rather than later

• Posted

Thanks Michael. I just have to hang in there . Like I've been tlling others to do.  It just creeped into my life.
  • Posted

If you feel like this then it could be that you are not free of depression as anne says.  If you are coming off under the advice of your gp go back, and get some guidance. Its not a problem to stay on them a little longer you will get better
  • Posted

It's hard to say, you need to take a look at your life. Is there anything. Or anyone in your life causing you to feel so stressed, if not then it may be the meds.
  • Posted

Hi im 6mths off v and no good news here im just managing thru each day..have wanted to end things not knowing wats goin on cos al the docs are all like it cant be the v..but there aint any other reason i was better off than i am now after stoppin..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.