Totally random runny nose?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys. So, for about as long as I can remember, I will random wake up one day and have a terribly watery runny nose and sneezing. Happens maybe once every month or two. It's not a cold. Allergy medication doesn't help (I've tried everything from Benadryl to Clariton). It doesn't correlate to anything at all. I'll be in the same apartment I'm in every single day and I'm fine, and then just one day, I wake up with this terrible running nose. It never lasts for more than a day, it doesn't matter what season it is, it doesn't matter where I am, if there's pets or not, or anything else. I do have allergies to some things, but again, this happens whether or not I'm in the presence of allergens, and allergy meds don't help.

In terms of my sinuses, I was CT'd once and apparently I have a small nasal spur. I don't know if this makes a difference, but obviously I have the spur all the time, and yet this only happens to me occasionally. The spur isn't big enough to be obstructive, and I get the nasal running on both sides, not just the side with the spur.

The only thing that makes it go away? Going back to sleep. Even if it's just for an hour or two, it'll be gone. But obviously I don't always have the luxury of just taking a nap in the middle of the day to cure my mystery-rhinitis. So often, I just deal with it, and by the end of the day, my nose is actually raw from the constant running and using tissues. That's how bad it is. I literally can't go 3 minutes without sneezing or needing a tissue.

Does anyone know what on earth this is? After 20-odd years of this, it's just so incredibly annoying!

Thank you for any help!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have exactly the same thing, after having tests years ago, was told it was non allergic perennial rhinitis, which means there’s nothing that can be done, but the only tablet that has ever worked is actifed, because it was pseudoephedrine in it, not sure why, but is works, but within no time, the sleepy side affect kicks in, but still have to take it, as I can’t actually function with this allergy, it’s so debilitating.. hope the tablet works for you....
    • Posted

Thanks so much, I'll see if I can find that. I'll try anything, just so I can exist for 10 minutes! Just chug some extra coffee or something, whatever. I actually have it today, and I've sneezed so much my chest muscles are sore. Ugh, it sucks. sad

• Posted

Can only get it in a chemist behind the counter, and can’t get it on prescription either, but it does work.. but what you said about going to sleep for an hour or two, will make it go, I totally agree with, but thought that was just me, so glad you said that.. it really affects your day.... good luck with tablet...
    • Posted

Thanks for this, what they gave me is "pseudoephedrine hydrochloride". Hopefully this is the same thing? I will see if it helps.

• Posted

Well, took it a couple hours ago, took a bath... No dice so far, unfortunately. sad But I'm glad you've found something to helps. I will continue my search!

• Posted

Oh I’m so sorry, was sure this would work, has it made you tired, “like you can’t keep your eyes open” ? 

• Posted

Nope. I feel a little balloon-headed, but I usually feel that way anyway. Not terribly sleepy right now.

I think it might be slightly better, but still pretty distracting.

• Posted

No, the one I got is Sudafed Decongestant, 60mg pseudoephedrine hydrochloride.
    • Posted

I do think it's a bit better, it's just happening really slowly. Maybe it took a while because I ate before and it absorbed slower?

• Posted

When I asked a pharmacist if I could use the sudafed instead of actifed, as sudafed was non-drowsy, she said the reason actifed works so quickly was because it had a histamine in called Triprolidine, but that is also what makes you drowsy.. but if sudafed works for you then great, but maybe bear the actifed in mind, for next time, as we both know, there will be a next time, just never sure when, at the moment, mine is every other day, very strange...
    • Posted

I'll try the Actified next time. I'd say the Sudafed only made it about 30% better. The histamine must be an important component. Thanks!

• Posted

Hello, this is a weird one.  I too suffer Allergies and Rhinitis, however, Citrizine sort me out.  If it were allergy related surely the Benadryl would help you too......something must be aggravating you, it's just finding out what.  Have you tried a steroid based nasal spray ?

It's a good job all the mucus you're making doesn't cause Eustachian Tube Dysfunction like it does to many people on this Forum, me included......that is the most awful condition to suffer,  blocked ears that just will not clear.

Hope eventually you find out what causes your problem, as I am totally baffled !!

Regards

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.