Touble Eating and Thinking of Trying Medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have 2 questions.

Im currently going through a badish stage of anxiety and i am unable to eat. I am starving hungary in my stomach but the hough of eating makes me feel sick and ii have no appetite. Does anyone have any advice on how to  start eating again im so deperate.

Also, i am thinking of going on mediction such as anti depressants for my anxiety, waht are peoples expereince with them, do you suffer any side effects and does it control your anxiety or just reduce it slightly? I know there are different tablets and everyones reacts differntly but i would really apreciate any adivce based on your experienes. I had reqested a call back from my doctor today to discuss medication but i feel i need so help/advice now. Thank you

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine, me and you are pretty much the same at the mo! I went on sertraline 50mg but the panic attacks were awful so come off them after 2 days! (It's not the same for everyone) I also felt I couldn't eat but let me tell you it makes you feel so much better eating even a little bit! I think rice pudding is best for me it's easy to swallow and filling! I'm on a waiting list for CBT 11 weeks to wait though hoping I can get through it myself! I don't want amy more medication but that's my choice, if say give it a try but beware you may feel worse for a week or two xx
    • Posted

Most of the time if you have panic attacks cause of taking a drug it will be because you're anxious about taking the drug. Very little evidence that suggest the drugs themselves cause anxiety.
    • Posted

thans for the quick reply! when i first had cbt it was a very long waiting list but i just kept ringing them explaing i was deperate and they got me on with much quicker. i have heard they can make you feel sick for a week but i suffer from emetehobia which means im scared of bieng sick! absolute nightmare..... i think i will have to give it ago. hope your okay x x
    • Posted

i think if i got panic attacks from the durg then yes it wouldnt most probably be from that
    • Posted

The irony of that is the fear probably makes you feel sick. If you're in the UK get IAPTS number directly and phone them. I was on the waiting list for 6 months then I rang IAPT and they said my GP had never even told them about me, IAPT rang back a couple hours later did an assessment and the following week I was in therapy. So don't bother going through your GP go direct
    • Posted

Anxiety is the fear that something is going to happen, very small amount of people have an actual chemical imbalance, usually menopausal or pregnant ladies get chemical imbalances or people with severe mental disabilities. Everyone else who has a fear of something is just having a bad thought process so drugs won't work effectively enough on their own. You'll need to take drugs to make the panic attacks less harsh then work on cbt to change your thinking patterns or if you're a mentally strong person who is struggling don't take the drugs do cbt and you'll think differently.
    • Posted

The drugs I'd suggest are something like propanalol try stay away from serotonin boosters etc they're addictive take a long time to start working and don't work on their own anyway you need therapy too.

The average course of mild anxiety taking a serotonin booster is between 10-14 months and those pills long term aren't good for you and you have to be weened off them slowly as missing them makes you ill.

I know I'd rather hedge my bets sorting my problems out without them.

• Posted

that is soo true, my fear makes me feel terribly sick! i havent heard of IAPT before, i iwll look them up thank you.

Thats interesting that not everyone has a chemical imbalance, i worry about everything and it goes to my stomach so maybe tabelts arent the option for me, i dont know im just soo confused about what is the right thign to do to get better.

• Posted

What foods can you eat? I had this problem so I just found foods that were soft on my stomach, yoghurts soups then worked my way up, started having a slice of bread with soup then having sandwiches then after about 3 weeks I was eating normal again.

You need calories. Try having some supplements to maintain your weight otherwise weightloss lack of calories and lack of water will definitely give you more anxiety and make you worse. - I learnt that the hard way.

As for drugs, I personally haven't taken any and I was to the point where I couldn't leave the house cause I was panicking to much, you can get over it without medication, only major anxiety disorders need medication and I'm so glad my therapist and doctors talked me out of it as they become dependable and aren't good for your body long term.

Ask your doctor to fast track therapy.

• Posted

i am a fussy eater so its quite hard, but yogarts are a great idea so thank you i will try that. i do need calories, my doctor weighed me yesterday and said was too thin, i dont want to be though, its my anxiety that causes me to loose weight. when you say supplament do you mena like meal replacemnt drinks?

im scared of taking drugs becuase i know i will need to be on them forever as i wouldnt be able to take the comdown and im scared of them making me feel/be sick as my phoibs is being sick.

thanks for your reply it was really helpful x

• Posted

Make a food diary, monitor how many calories you're having I did one for 2 weeks and I thought I was eating well turned out I was having 800 calories a day (I'm a 6ft 4 male) the foods I had to work myself up was;

Full fat yoghurt

Frozen yoghurt

Thick chicken soups

Vegetable soups

Full fat jelly

Custards with small bits of fruit cake

Boxes of raisans sultanas etc

Apples I found were easy to eat

Tins of beans

I found foods that were lubricated already a lot easier to eat as when I was anxious I had no saliva.

There's a good breathing technique that calms you down and creates saliva actually;

Take your right hand thumb and put it over your right nostril breathe in deep through your left nostril then cover your left nostril with your ring finger and breathe out deeply through your right nostril then back in through your right and start the process again for about 5 breathes. (Obviously if you have a lung problem or anything don't do this without asking your GP about it..) but that helped me alot smile

• Posted

I've just ate a yogart! It may be baby steps but it's a start smile thank you for your advice it means a lot to me it really does
    • Posted

No worries Christine. Keep a food diary too and how many calories you're eating, your appetite will come back slowly. Once you're comfortable eating something add a little something to it, like maybe a bit of fruit to your yoghurt etc. Make sure you're trying to eat regularly too. :]
    • Posted

i most certainly will. I've also managed to eat half a breakfast bar too! Once I get back into eating I eat normal amounts (as long as I'm no longer anxious), its just getting back into it, but hopefully im on a roll now! smile
    • Posted

Yeah that's decent, stay hydrated as that'll produce saliva too, when you have saliva you'll feel hungry and food will go down easier.

And thank you, I'm loads better than I used to be. Not fixed, but on the right course.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.