Touched needle; no blood- HIV risk?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I accidentally touched a needle, but I don't know if I actually pricked myself with it. There was no blood, even after I squeezed my finger. 

If there was no blood, does that mean I am safe and that I did not get pricked, thus no risk of HCV?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

There is absolutely no risk whatsoever if you simply pricked yourself or if you cut yourself.

There is a minimal risk of infection - theoretically - if you then touched someone intimately with the cut area.

Please do not worry.    If you are in UK HIV/AIDs is pretty rare despite the hype

• Posted

I had misread this if indeed you meant a used medical needle; I had inferred a sewing needle.

If it was a medical needle that pierced your skin ["needlestick"] I guess you would know about it.

If the person on which it was used had HIV/AIDs then there is a theoretical risk but how likely is it that s/he did.

I'd still feel that the risk is very low

• Posted

This was the thing that I touched: http://www.terumotmp.com/imgs/photos/1118.jpg

But, there was no needle sticking out to the right, like in the picture. I remember touching, however, a really thin needle-like thing that was INSIDE the plastic part. Do you know what that could be? I am not familiar with hypodermic needles.

• Posted

As I said - if the needle had been used on a person with HIV/AIDs [but the likelihood of that is very very low] then there is a minuscule theoretical risk of infection.

If it was unused [or had been used on someone without the infection] then there is no risk at all.

Unused needles should be sterile!  That's the whole point [sorry about the joke]

• Posted

Absolutely o risk whatsoever to a prick from a needle where blood does not contact blood HIV can not be passed on.

I cannot believe that we are actually into 2015 and people can be so uptight about how HIV transmission is passed.

With the amount of Sexual health Clinics all around us I would strongly advise you drop into your nearest one and just get some factual info on HIV.

I wish you well.

And may the world find greater compassion for the millions out here in the world that live with HIV today.

Including the many many children.

28  years HIV here , and trust me I didnt have to be sleeping around or doing perverted things to find out the very first time I experimented with sex to be told 6 weeks later I had the gay bug.

Trust me life was hell back then.

I can never forget what it is like to face your parents to tell them I have months to live with HIV back in 1988, and my mum and sister then instead of giving me a hug told me it was Gods wrath on me for being gay.

It took time to forgive them but hey they too did not have a clue and were talking out of the top of thier heards.

Education is Knowlege and Knowlege is power.

PJ

• Posted

I wish you all the best as well sir. As to your response, essentially there needs to be blood on the needle and for it to be injected into the other persons blood via injection or prick?
    • Posted

Oh dear - if your parents are still with us I hope you are now reconciled.

I know it is what religion "teaches" but it seems so sad when people seem to take more notice of it than of their children.

• Posted

Reconciliation eventually came with education and when ignorance was put aside.

Education + Knowledge + forgivness can open the doors to reconciliation and a better understanding of each other.

PJ

• Posted

And love I hope.   I am so glad to hear that. 

Your final paragraph is an inspiration to us all

• Posted

LOVE of course my dear inspirational freind can CONQUER all hatred , ignorance and intollerance.

There is nothing greater than Love.

I am so grateful that I can say after many years that I found what true love is and it all starts with me loving me.

xxxxxxxxxx

I love your comments , they really brighten my day mate.

PJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.