Toxilizumab

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I've just started on Toxilizumab which is fairly new, as the Rituximab I was on lowered my Immunoglobulin levels two low. I've opted to do the weekly injections at home rather than the monthly infusion at Rheumatology dept. But I'm finding the injections incredibly painful. I do weekly Methotrexate injections at home, with no problems at all. Is anyone else on Toxilizumab and have the same problems. I might have to swap to the infusion, but I'm feeling a bit of a wimp ha ha. I've had loads of ops, needles, injections etc but nothing felt as bad as this one

Is it just me

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am on weekly injections, was on infusions but apparently due to cost was transferred to self home injection. I was also on Methotrexate injections (in my leg) which I found painful and had a reaction to so reverted back to tablets. Where do you inject the tox? Is it your stomach? It is literally hit and miss with me 😂. I swab a good 2-3 inches below my belly button then gently test along that stretch with point of needle to find less painful part. It is usually closer to the belly button. I hate injecting myself, preferred infusions but the longer I was having them the harder it was to find a vein. Originally I had a lovely vein (I always joked I was going to get an X tattoo to mark the spot 😂) one week it took 10 attempts to get the canular in (which is why is was probably expensive 😥). If you are finding it to painful have a chat with rheumatology and see if they can suggest something

• Posted

I inject in the leg, like my Methotrexate but they are a piece of cake Actually my hubby does all my injections, as I find it difficult as my right hand is my worst one Next time I shall try the stomach. I'm dreading the next injection I've had lots of infusions, injections and don't know why I should find this one so painful.

• Posted

Yes try the stomach just below the belly button. Let me know how you get on

• Posted

I cannot inject there as its full of scar tissue from different ops and a couple of scars run through my belly button and upwards. They said not to inject at least two inches from any scar

• Posted

Are you using the fine 'diabetic' needles? You do sound very experienced in injections, but i just wondered. Ever since I switched from regular to the diabetic sort, all injecting has been a cinch.

But I'm not on Toxilizumab.

Apart from the miseries of self-injecting, how is the new biologic for you?

• Posted

I never really noticed a lot of difference when on Rituximab.. And only been on this one two weeks so not kicked in yet. Hoping this help as probably my last one as I've had cancer, and still have CLL/SLL (blood and Lymph ones), so I'm a bit limited Also this Toxilizumab apparently heightens the risk of more. So if don't notice an improvement in few weeks, I will ask to come off it. And when I looked at the needle, compared to the others it looked huge ha ha. 😏😏

• Posted

That 'huge' must be the problem.

I inject in the fatty area of the buttock just above the pelvic joint. That might be easier for you than the leg, don't know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.