TPO test question

Posted , 4 users are following.

This last year I've had 2 TPO tests done which show I have hashimotos. How reliable is this test?

In one year, after all tests, they tell me I show positive results for EBV, mono, inner ear infection and hashimotos hypothyroiditis. Could they be mistaken and could it be one auto-immune deficiency problem which has triggered all other disfunctional stuff?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have under active thyroid (autoimmune) and now also have another autoimmune disease where white blood cells attack my skin.  Plus I have osteoarthritis - this would be grouped as MAD -multiple autoimmune disorders.

I think, Mary, you could be right about that one autoimmune problem that has set off the other stuff.

• Posted

To me it sounds as though you may have Hashimoto's, but also, a small population can have antibodies to tpo and not have thyroid issues.. I found this statment..

Most people with chronic thyroiditis display a positive TPO test. The test is also positive in lesser numbers of people with other thyroid diseases.

Other autoimmune disorders that may cause a positive TPOAb test include:

Sjogren's syndrome,

lupus,

rheumatoid arthritis, and

pernicious anemia.

About 3% of people with a positive TPOAb test show no evidence of disease.

The chance of having a positive TPOAb test is greater in females and increases with age.

So, as you can see, you may not have Hashimoto's also.  Or it;s a possibility that you have one of the other causes of TPOAb.  Hopefully your doctor will do further testing and check your TSH, FT4, FT3 and purhaps an ultrasound of your thyroid.  These test will further help the diagnosis.  Best wishes...

• Posted

Thank u so much for this helpful info.

I've seen my dr today and she's prescribed tsh t3 t4 tests and also checking parathyroid and other things.

The thyroid meds have only made things worse. I'm guessing perhaps I do not have hashimotos at all but something connected to mono. The two scans of my thyroid show all ok.

There's hope!

• Posted

That's great news!  I'm happy your doctor is doing all he should and can to find the underlying cause.  It's great that your ultasound showed up normal.  That's a good sign.  Hopefully your other test come up normal also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.